Author Topic: Oil holes missing  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Daddypine

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oil holes missing
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
Hi, My first ever post so be gentle with me!

I have purchased a 1959 Norton dominator 99 in a thousand pieces. The bike was stripped down in 1982, most of it submerged in sump oil, as a project for retirement by a friend. unfortunately, just after retiring he passed away.

As winter is nearly upon us, I thought it about time to make a start. I have a manual and several other norton issued maintenance manuals and have made a start on the engine.

My first (of what could eventually be many) questions is:-
On rebuilding the engine bottom end, I have fit new crank bearings and big end bearing shells, the manual shows a small oil hole in the top of the conrod, just above the big end, and a matching hole in the new bearing shell. Mine doesn't have these. I would add that the previous owner had bought quite a lot of replacement parts in preparation and a new set of shells came with the bike. Any guidance here would help.

Secondly, I decided to carry on working on the cylinder head, which has new valves and guides, and most of the bits seem obvious apart from the four half circular pieces in the picture below. Could anyone enlighten me as to what these are and where they go? they were in a bag with the exhaust valves, springs, collects, etc but they seem to big to fit in the head area.

Any pointers on anything would be gratefully received, thank you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:24:25 PM by Daddypine »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oil holes missing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:50:19 PM »
My first (of what could eventually be many) questions is:-
On rebuilding the engine bottom end, I have fit new crank bearings and big end bearing shells, the manual shows a small oil hole in the top of the conrod, just above the big end, and a matching hole in the new bearing shell. Mine doesn't have these.

That would be correct for '59, as the conrod holes were introduced with the double-speed (6-start) oil pump and high-pressure rocker oil feed on the 750 Atlas during 1966 from engine number 116372.   

Secondly, I decided to carry on working on the cylinder head, which has new valves and guides, and most of the bits seem obvious apart from the four half circular pieces in the picture below. Could anyone enlighten me as to what these are and where they go? they were in a bag with the exhaust valves, springs, collects, etc but they seem to big to fit in the head area.

They look like Girling shock absorber collets.
http://www.racingvincent.co.uk/16%20Newsletters/Newsletter%2014%20171111/Newsletter%20Content%20and%20photos%2014%20Minimal%201.htm

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:51:52 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Daddypine

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil holes missing
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
Thanks for that iansody, I just found a youtube video on that last night, first job tomorrow.