Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

b.s.a.c15 clutch ??

(1/4) > >>

mossy:
hi guys, this engine overhaul is still giving me loads of problems.i have began work on the clutch and having got the new cluth spring nuts I,ve found that they are fractionately smaller than than the studs on mine.it is clear that the clutch has been changed at some time as this is nothing like the c15 clutch seen in all the manuals etc. my chainwheel  has 40-3204 stamped on the back of it,and although it is still a 4 plate and  fits on the shaft/keyway o.k however there is a wobble/play so probably needs needs new rollers but I hav,nt a clue how to strip it  down any further.  I thought about re tapping the studs to fit my spring nuts but can,t get at them.i know its a long shot but if anyone recognises the number stamped on the back of it or knows what this clutch maybe off,then maybe I can progress further.any help would be appreciated,kind regards, steve.

Rex:
That's the part number for a C15 chainwheel so no problem there.
Most have "wobble" so don't go buying new rollers on the strength of that little diagnosis, and I wouldn't worry about "retapping" anything as if your diagnosis is correct then the studs would need changing and they won't be able to be "retapped".
IF I was you I'd ascertain what thread and type of clutch nuts you need and buy some, closely followed by a manual and a clutch puller.

mossy:
thanks rex,i,ll try that.(I already have both Haynes workshop manual and Rupert  ratio book along with clutch puller.

Rex:
If you "haven't a clue how to strip it down further" then read the manual. ::)
Haynes aren't wonderful, but even that little book of words must detail how to remove the plates and use the puller, surely?

mossy:
cheers mate, I have already pulled the clutch off and ,removed the plates,but my clutch doesn,t look anything like the books. the backplate with the studs maybe has been replaced at some time as this is what the clutch spring nuts screw onto. i still hav,nt found how to get into it and the books don,t help much !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version