Author Topic: b.s.a.c15 clutch ??  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: b.s.a.c15 clutch ??
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
You're dead right R!
Only saw it when I expanded the image. Sorry Mossy for not looking more closely.
Now, what was the problem again?

Offline mossy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
thanks,that helps very much,i have had it on and off the shaft a few times, there is a big wobble and I agree it seems to be be the centre rocking on the bearings, but when you say it will be less when its all put back together the wobble is still quite big even with the clutch plates and springs are fitted.that is when my problem started cos I have broken one of the clutch spring nuts and a couple of the others are a bit iffy. so I ordered new clutch spring nuts on line.these are the ones that don,t fit,but I am assured by the seller that these are standard threads.so if I need a new backplate I need to get it apart and that's the bit I,m stuck on.while its on the bench I need to sort it out properly before the engine goes back into the bike.how do you get the plate off the front when the four countersunk screws have been removed.( when I have got it off I will probably take it  to a proper b.s.a. supplier to get the correct parts),cheers guys.it is a retirement project so although its sometimes frustrating it is also still  a great deal of fun !

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 02:50:58 PM »
With the clutches I'm familiar with (mainly Norton) there is nothing actually holding the backplate to the central drum - if there was it wouldn't rotate. However, the plate that holds the adjusting screws is wider than the hole in the drum so it won't come through forwards. It acts as a retainer for the rollers. What holds it all together are the adjusting screws in their cups clamping the plates to the drum.

So I would support the outer drum somewhere solid with a gap big enough to take the centre and backplate , put a solid bit of MDF over the protruding studs, and give it a firm whack with a ball pein hammer. This may of course only make matters worse......

Do you have a photo of the back of the clutch to show how those studs are held in? As has been said, often riveted over.

Getting that front plate off is unlikely to move you much further TBH.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves