The VintageBike Message Board > The Classic Biker Bar

Anyone know of any old photographs of bikers at play in Scotland before the war?

(1/4) > >>

Bosquoy:

I'm new here and am sorry my first contribution is to ask for help! (Although in my defence I do ride a classic bike, a 78 BMW R100RS)

I'm putting together a guide book for motorcyclists visiting Scotland and am looking for a particular type of photograph to illustrate a chapter about Scotland's relationship with motorbikes over the years, manufacturers, great racers etc
I'm trying to track down a picture of a bike (or bikes) in Scotland,but not in a competition. There are a good number of pre-war Trials pictures around but I'd prefer something recreational, rather than competitive. I've found the attached which would be perfect but I can't establish the copyright situation so can't use it.  :-[

I wonder if any of you lot have a photograph in your possession which would suit, and for which you know the copyright implications. i.e. know who took it and how to contact a member of the family, or the copyright holder - and most importantly which you'd allow me to use.

A prize to anyone who can help me out (although I don't know what the prize is yet!).  Even if you can't help, it's a chance to share the picture below.

33d6:
What a picture! Also what a pity it isn't big enough to get a good look at the bikes and hopefully identify them.
Cheers,

cardan:

--- Quote from: Bosquoy on January 10, 2018, 05:17:34 PM ---... I can't establish the copyright situation so can't use it.  :-[

--- End quote ---

Here in Australia there is no copyright on photos taken prior to the mid 1950s, whether the photographer is known or unknown, living or dead. This is quite different to other works, such as written word or artwork. Worth checking what the situation is in the UK, but I'd guess it would be similar.

Note that there may be other restrictions on use, such as when you use or buy from a source that licenses use of an image that is not already in the public domain. For example you might be given access to an image "for private use only". But if that image has been published - say in a book or indeed on the internet - you can copy and use it, subject to copyright.

Cheers

Leon

mini-me:
Here copyright continues for 75 years after the death of the originator of the work, book,art whatever.

what date the work was published or created has no relevance.

for instance if an author died yesterday aged 100 something he/her wrote aged 20 will still be in copyright for another 75 yrs. Its also possible to leave ownership of copyright to heirs.

Thanks to the blessed wisdom of the saintly EU the position over works of art is even more complicated.

Of course the web has buggered all that anyway.

Nor am I entirely clear about "creative commons" as applied to these things in an educational or non commercial use.

cardan:

--- Quote from: mini-me on January 12, 2018, 09:41:58 AM ---Here copyright continues for 75 years after the death of the originator of the work, book,art whatever.

--- End quote ---

As it does in Australia for most things (70 years here), but not photographs. http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs08.aspx

Leon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version