Author Topic: Unknown British motorcycle found in ruins .  (Read 5744 times)

Offline matidkw

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unknown British motorcycle found in ruins .
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
Hello . My name is Mateusz I am from Poland ,  I have 20 pre war motocycles . All of them are german:   like DKW, NSU , Triumph (produced in Germany) . I want to ask you about remains of motorcycle  that I think is British . It was some motorcycle  from years 1928-31 , all of nuts and screws are made in inches . Motorcycle was found in center of Warsaw (Poland capital)  in ruins of cellar from destroyed building in Warsaw Uprising in year 1944 . Please look on the photo , maybe you would know what it was ?  . Please dont look on the wheels , front is from NSU 201 ZDB, back wheel is from DKW SB, and I put them just to show that those remains are from some motorcycle . Sorry for my english   ;)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Unknown British motorcycle found in ruins .
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »

Hi Mateusz,

You win two prizes: one for excellent English, and another for "the most unusual British motorcycle to come from a Warsaw cellar".

You are exactly correct with the date, and the country of origin. The make is New Hudson, and it's one for the lightweights - something like the Model 91E 250cc from 1930. There were quite a few similar NH models at the time.

What a pity it's so badly rusted, but it makes a nice relic even if it can't be restored.

Best wishes from Australia,

Leon

Offline matidkw

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
Hello Leon
Greetings from Torun / Poland  :)
 :)Thanks for help . This is it . It is the same as those rusty parts . I have searched for the correct motorcycle  for many hours (only in net )
I can try to repair it , I would have to change all the pipes in frame and front fork  .

Maybe anyone have some parts for it ? I am looking especially for engine and gearbox . Does anyone have "Parts katalog"  for that model in PDF ?
Any literature will be helpfull  . My mail is: mati.dkw@wp.pl

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
An enviable ambition, but you'll never find enough parts to complete it.

New Hudson are not a common sight even here, and i can't remember the last time I saw one and I am over 70.

As for a parts catalogue forget it, they never had them in those days.

Cover it in some preservative and hang it on a wall, its history is enough.

Offline matidkw

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks for your words of support  :) , but my and my dad can do almost any project .
Example :
NSU 601 TS  1939 year of production
Before renovation (It was only this cutted frame )

Now, after two years of searching parts and making replica parts from original pattern  that we have in some other the same mark and model of motorcycles
(replica : all front fork , fenders (made on "english wheel") , luggage holder, handlebars, saddle, down part of frame, central stand, battery holder,  and some small parts )

As for New Hudson . I didnt renovate any English motorcycle , so this is my first in 18 years of my passion in motorcycles (I am 33 years old)  . This is yours UK motorcycle brand  so  I'm counting that you all will help me  in some way  :D I promise that I will take care about it . PS. I am not an old motorcycle dealer , it is only my hobby . Even each photo of this 91 E model can be helpful
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:27:11 PM by matidkw »

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:38:00 PM »
Good luck is all I can say.

The chances of you finding  enough parts to finish it are very small. I'm sure you could  find a better British bike project.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »

Eric Londesbrough in the UK is the man: http://www.new-hudson.co.uk/

The remains of the bike have quite a powerful story, and it's a pretty little bike. As mini-me says, there would be easier restoration projects, but if you do decide to tackle this one, good luck! Parts will be hard to find, but that's part of the fun. I see there are some parts advertised on Eric's website that may be of use.

Cheers

Leon

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »
Nice work on the NSU.
Good luck with the New Hudson, will be a long job. Something that was made by hand can be remade again by people with the right skills.
"Anything can be fixed with enough time and money."

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:15:22 AM »
If you dad has skills for that job he could make  enough money to buy the bikes of your choice by making various spares for sale here.

Its getting harder to find an engineer to make small runs of parts.

Sunbeam club are looking for someone who could laser cut 5mm steel for a tool, cad drawings all ready.

Some Best and Lloyd pump bodies are another problem.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:57:16 AM »

Still a bit rough, but a better place to start? https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/83/lot/39896/

Leon