Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

Royal Enfield Model D

(1/7) > >>

T100striumph:
Hi All,
First post from Dunedin New Zealand. I have a Model D that I purchased from a farmer for $15 ( 7 Pounds) about 40 years ago when I was 20 years old. Just starting the restore process, good things take time.
Motor has Serial number D4044 and gearbox has HJP - 2 and ENF-39. The bike has telescopic forks which from my readings would make it around 1947-8 when they were introduced by RE.  As it was sent to New Zealand I wondered if it was a bitza built by RE to get overseas funds post WW2. It is missing the clutch cover tin work, had a home made exterior cover. Was running when purchased.

I would like to know age if possible as the tele forks seem a bit odd, frame does not appear to have been modified.

Regards to all,
Neville

RE model J
REmodel G
Flying flea
Triumph t100s 1970
Honda CBR400RR 1988
Honda CBR600RR 2006
Aprilia RST 1000 2004

R:
Welcome aboard !
Any chance of a pic of the whole bike - help prevents making an absolute howler from misunderstandings.

You may have seen the very recent discussion here about the 1951 Model S exported as part of a batch to Australia, and unknown to the historians. So yes, such things are possible.
Having Graham run those numbers through the RE dispatch records will likely shed some light on this too.

Is the clutch cover tinwork the same as for your G or J.?
A lot of military bikes came out to this neck of the woods, so such parts are not impossible to source. Have fun.

T100striumph:
Hi,
Many thanks, will have a close look at frame tomorrow and have a hunt for any numbers, will get a picture to you.
Neville

T100striumph:
Hi,
Managed to get frame number Z0102?337, bit hard to read middle number has been damaged. Frame has very light plates welded at headstock. Photo's of frame and motor attached. Pic of my T100s 1970, I'm second owner purchased in 1973, always been road ready and I have done over 60,000miles on her.

33d6:
Those forks look remarkably BSAish to me. I'd swear I have an identical set from a C10-11 in my workshop which I intended to put on a Francis-Barnett. Unfortunately ancient bones and creaky joints are winning the battle. No Fanny-Bee battling iron for me.
Personally, as they are an excellent fork and came with the bike I'd keep them on. They will give a much better ride and navigation than any girder fork and are typical of what was done back in the day to keep a bike on the road. 
I'd retain the headstock bracing as well. The Poms tended to skimp on building some frames in the 1930's due to oddball taxation rules favouring bikes under a certain weight. They weren't really  sturdy enough for our roads although the easier hydraulic action of those forks will help a lot.
Best of luck,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version