The VintageBike Message Board > The Classic Biker Bar

Scottish Motorbike Manufacturers ... not a long list but can you add to it?

(1/4) > >>

Bosquoy:

I'm trying to compile a list of motorcycle manufacturers based in Scotland over the years. I only know of a few  ....

The Victoria Motor & Cycle Company of Dennistoun 1902-1926
The Christie brothers from Dundee, although they only made a single bike. 
Dunedin Motorcycles of Edinburgh manufactured between 1902 and 1910
Myreton Motor Museum has a 1907 G.A.C.S. (Glasgow Auto Cycle Services).
William Beardmore and Co. produced the Beardmore Precision in the 1920s.
AJR was a short-lived affair in Edinburgh in 1925 & 1926
And Jock Porter built and raced his ‘New Gerrard’ machines in the 20s & 30s.

Anyone know of any more?

R:
This article mentions that a William Murchie built several motorcycles.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/in-pictures-scotland-s-lost-motor-industry-1-3916817

You are likely to find that there were possibly quite a few very low volume builders in the early 1900s,
when various 'kit' motorcycles were for sale - assembled usually by the local blacksmith.
You bought a frame and forks as a bundle of tubes and lugs, brazed it together and added engine and wheels and seat, and wrote your name on the tank !  Even very remote parts could sometimes claim a few of these - often advertised in the local press of the day. Bicycle shops were another possibility for the building up of kit bikes, and also often advertised in the local press - being a very big industry back then.  Have fun, keep us posted.

JFerg:
I can add add a fair bit to this list, based on my Barr and Stroud data.

Donaldson & Kelso became Knightswood Motors in Anniesland and built the Royal Scot.  Actually, they built a few.
The Motor Mart in Edinburgh bought two engines, so I assume built two bikes.
New Gerrard, of course.
William Oliver of Jedburgh bought one engine and may have built a single machine.
North British Machine Company in Glasgow bought a few engines.
Collars Ltd in Anniesland bought a couple of engines too.

Wallace bought a few.  Whilst they were more known for agricultural equipment and have no record of producing motorcycles, the few B&S engines discovered in the US were sold through them.

There was also a McKechnie (Edinburgh) entered in the Scottish Six Days in 1922.  Retired on day 6.

Any B&S information, extant engines etc, welcome.

JFerg

cardan:

I refuse to believe that neither "Wee MacGregor" nor "McKenzie" were actually built in Scotland. Cheats. But for JFerg there's a link to Barr and Stroud through Coventry B & S.

Leon

JFerg:
"Wee McGregor" was built in the Midlands, and they did use at least one 350cc B&S, Leon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version