The VintageBike Message Board > The Classic Biker Bar

Scottish Motorbike Manufacturers ... not a long list but can you add to it?

<< < (2/4) > >>

iansoady:
As for Douglas with its kilted Scotsman......

mini-me:
There used to be a running joke in the 1960s Motorcycle mag about the well established Scottish carburettor manufacturer Langmayerlumreek.

I suppose you need to be ancient and a vintage buff to get it. :(

Bosquoy:

Thanks for the replies, gents. I suppose the question is how to define the difference between a 'manufacturer', and someone who built a couple of bikes. 
I'd never heard of a Royal Scot, or a Wee MacGregor, come to that. Or a McKenzie.   

33d6:
You'll have to provide your own definition of Scottish manufacturer. Do you mean a motorcycle made in Scotland entirely of components made in Scotland and employing only Scottish labour? What about a machine assembled in Scotland by Scottish labour but of all imported components? Or the opposite. A machine made entirely of Scottish components but assembled in another country? I could go on but you get the message.
You'll have to say what you think a manufacturer is.

Bosquoy:

At least one more ....  The Templeton Brothers, of Sauchiehall Street made Tee Bee motorcycles for a year or two up to 1911

and the Kennedy Motor Company Ltd, Shettleston, Glasgow made a flat-twin engine in the 1920s, called Koh-i-Noor, which was fitted in some bikes, apparently. And cars. Kennedys made a Rob Roy motorcar
but it wisnae a big success!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version