Author Topic: Old bike magazines are they a burden?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Old bike magazines are they a burden?
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
Having a sort out,  dragged out all the old 'Motorcycle' mags I ever bought from back in the 1960s till it went tabloid. Dog eared, mice nibbled, damp, covers loose..........I just can't bring myself to dump them and in their present state they are worthless, but just my longest connection with bikes,  I bought some  before my first bike.

You can't give away old Classic Motorcycle glossies from even before the evil empire days.

Anyone else got this problem? I've a feeling they be used to line my coffin.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Old bike magazines are they a burden?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
I'm currently trying to flog some "Motor Cycling" cheap on ebay. No interest.

I think they're really interesting, with road tests, TT & ISDT reports etc etc but it seems the yoof (and maybe even pensioners) of today can't be bothered.

I do often see people trying to sell such mags for a fiver each but they must be real optimists.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »
I have a load too, and I'm guessing they'll be dumped a couple of weeks after I pass on. Who wants them though? Any research, photo's or articles I can find instantly on this machine, and it saves the endless finger-cramping search up in the freezing cold (or stinking hot!) loft.
Does make me laugh when I see four Green 'uns for £20 on Ebay.....dreamers!

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
I have culled my stock down to just those that have an article on a bike I had or still have or something of really special interest to me (like an event where I attended).
The modern one that I buy now I take to the doctors surgery when I visit (seem to be getting more often lately) and leave with the three year old womens weeklys. Funnily there never any left  when I go back next time, but the weeklies are still there.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
My GP surgery won't let people leave mags now - "danger of infection". What tosh - you're far more at risk sitting next to those ill people in the waiting room.

They still seem to have room for leaflets advertising ambulance chasers however.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves