The VintageBike Message Board > Autojumble

Wanted, Dolls head gearbox

<< < (2/4) > >>

Martin_UK:
The outer case and the clutch adjuster cover are totally different....even a 5 year old kid would see the difference let alone a rivet counter  ::)

R:
I can't help thinking you are talking about the upright box - for 1946 & 1947 - enclosed and with the round clutch adjuster cover ? 

Would the OP here bike have had such a box, they are generally shown with the dolls head box that early ??  Did we ascertain also that this bike was manufactured in 1946, and is not a refurbed WW2 bike 1st registered in 1946 ?

mini-me:
you'd be better off asking on the WD 16H site, or the WDM20 site.

or here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-ES2-16H-18-BIG4-Gearbox/173211047174?hash=item28542ed506:g:VYkAAOSw4ltapZvO

these boxes are nearly always 90% knackered or have broken lugs.

R:
For a fee, the NOC can check the factory records and see if the build spec was recorded.
Just knowing if its a civvy or ex-WD bike would about give the same info, since postwar civvy bikes are easy to date precisely from the numbers, this info is well documented.

Martin_UK:

--- Quote from: R on March 17, 2018, 08:38:54 AM ---I can't help thinking you are talking about the upright box - for 1946 & 1947 - enclosed and with the round clutch adjuster cover ? 

Would the OP here bike have had such a box, they are generally shown with the dolls head box that early ??  Did we ascertain also that this bike was manufactured in 1946, and is not a refurbed WW2 bike 1st registered in 1946 ?

--- End quote ---

Wrong again...the 1947 box had a lozenge shaped clutch adjuster cover....the '46 box was a one year ONLY box with the circular disc cover.  But its irrelevant anyway as looking at Tidyrobs other post his bike is an ex WD bike and not a '46 produced bike anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version