Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

Help with identifying a part, REX?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Simon Anderson:
It's funny so many people have mentioned that front brakes didn't come out till late teens, but you research tricars or forecars there are about 4 brands that had front band brakes in 1904/5ish.
The other interesting part is that what appears to be chassis/frame rails which have been cut, are mounted directly to the axle and then the body or seat is sprung. It's an odd one.

murdo:
Are the cut off tubes at an angle? Could they have been an 'A' frame mounting going back to a central pivot similar to a Ford Prefect idea ?

R:
It won't be a forecar though, with the front wheels having steering like that ?

And that whole setup looks quite substantial, where most tricars are quite lightweight in construction.
(And those brakes are large..)

Can't help thinking its a 1920s small car of some sort - predating the Austin 7 by some margin ??

33d6:
You haven't said what part of Oz you live in but you could ask Graeme Jarrett of the Victorian Veteran Car Club. (Or is it Veteran Car Club of Victoria? No matter.) He is a keen cyclecar owner and has contact with many cyclecar/light car owners.

You'll have to chase himself down yourself, I can't really put his private details up on here can I.
Cheers,

Simon Anderson:
Thanks, yes I have spoken to Graeme.

The tube size of the main axle is only 1 1/8" and the cut off tube are 1" and lower cut off tubes are 1/2". So it is lite.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version