Motorcycle Discussions > Japanese Bikes

Suzuki GS650 voltage drops to 8V. Won't start.

(1/2) > >>

steviewilson87:
Had an intermittent fault with my 1981 Suzuki GS 650 that's now became a bit of an issue..... The f****r won't start anymore!
 It cranks fine & the battery is holding a charge. Spark is pretty weak (swapped plugs for new). Battery drops to 8V when starting, back to 12V when releasing start. Checked coils & getting 4.5ohms & 13kOhm primary/secondary sides. I'm thinking short to earth, but wondering if anyone has any ideas? Cheers!

R:
I've had a battery that had those exact symptoms.
It wasn't long for this earth after that....

Can you try boosting the battery by jumper leads, say from a car.
This would say for sure if its just a low battery, or if you really do have a problem.
Be ready for a quick disconnect of the hot lead from the boost battery...

btw, you say your battery "returns to 12v".
12 point how many volts, precisely ?
A battery at 12.0 volts only is already rather dead...
hopethishelps.

Rex:
The battery's had it. Jump lead it from your car to prove.

steviewilson87:
Sorry, I've already proved its not the battery. I connected my car battery straight to the motorbike battery tails, and it was still immediately dropping to 8V & cranking like crazy.

Its got progressively worse (had the bike a month!). Started fine, then took a bit of effort, now won't start. Battery sits about 12.5V.

Rex:
Does "cranking like crazy" mean it was turning over at the correct speed on the starter?
Measuring 12.5V doesn't really mean a great deal; take a dead battery out of your car and you can still get 12V on a voltmeter but it's still knackered and won't turn the car over. "Surface charge" and all that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version