Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

what is the purple oil in my BSA RGS

(1/3) > >>

peteR:
Folks,
i've come across some oil I have never seen before.  I have a recently bought A10 Rocket Gold Star and am changing the oil.  I have drained the tank, but have found that the existing oil is a very bright blue/purple, quite sticky oil. I haven't come across this before.  Does anyone have any ideas what this oil might be and what precautions I might need to take before refilling?
Thanks PeteR

Rex:
It means somebody's used that dangerous purple inferior engine oil to save a few bob and left your engine liable to a very expensive failure. To help you out I'll take it off your hands for a hundred quid and rebuild it  using proper 20W/50 oil. Deal?

mini-me:
Make sure some posy $%^ has not used  castor oil instead of mineral before you top up with mineral.

auto censor strikes, that should of course read twot with an a.

peteR:

--- Quote from: mini-me on June 09, 2018, 04:09:20 PM ---Make sure some posy $%^ has not used  castor oil instead of mineral before you top up with mineral.

--- End quote ---
I certainly don't believe it to be castor oil.  There has been not even a hint of the distinctive smell I would have expected.

mini-me:
In that case just fill with the desired lubricant of choice ;)

[I've heard that what passes for R these days does not have the nostalgic perfume of yore, true or not I don't know]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version