Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

1932 BSA side valve starting problem

<< < (2/3) > >>

R:
Likewise, have you tried a new plug since this non-starting business arose.

Rex:
If you've only gone three miles on it I'm guessing that maybe you haven't established a starting routine yet? All bikes have their foibles when starting; my old Enfield will go second kick, but if it dies (putting on helmet etc) it'll be a sod to restart and does the same tricks, backfiring, etc etc, and even when really hot, it still needs a little tickle to get running again. It's just one of those things.
Maybe you wetted the plug and now it's knackered, and so a replacement is a good idea. Always start with the easy things; as the old joke goes, too many engine rebuilds end up at the spark plug.

TGR90B:
Or perhaps the jet block in the carb. has picked up a bit of crap in one of the drillings.
Feed back would be appreciated.

Billington:
Thank you for all your help. Yesterday I had another go at starting the bike. I made no alterations other than trying the ignition level and air lever at different positions (which I had done before).

After two minutes of the same back fire and failing to run it came to life! I quickly put my helmet and gloves on and set off for a ride. For the first mile and a half the engine was popping, but at the two mile mark the engine smoothed out and I started to enjoy a well mannered bike. After four miles I realised that the vibrations were undoing the nut on the ignition lever, hence I returned home before I lost the nut and created another job.

When I got home the bike was running fast at ideal, can I resolve this by turning in or out the air screw on the carburettor?
The bike started when the ignition was fully retired and the air level was full closed. I would like to think that this was to answer to my problem; however I know that I had tried this combination before with no luck.

What do I take from this small victory to the journey to understanding my bike and having an easy to start smooth running bike, ……. well just these points:

1, Air fuel is getting through to the engine
2, The new spark plug works fine
3, The engine timing works

chaterlea25:
Hi,
The "book of the BSA" will include instructions on starting and riding your W32-6
reprints are available or to download

https://www.mlr.press/release10/03-prof-maryse-reichel/9bflkKxiLa-the-book-of-the-bsa-an-owners-workshop-manual-fo-doc.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/BOOK-BSA-WORKSHOP-PRE-WAR-MOTORCYCLES/dp/1588500462

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version