Motorcycle Discussions > Identify these bikes!

Any help with ID of this 1900's frame ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jonny The Goat:
Just a thought. As to me it looks quite long could it of fitted a small V twin ? Looking at some photos of a Sarolea that looks close though never seen one in the flesh and can't see lower fram engine mount lugs.
 Jon.

cardan:

Yes it could be a small v-twin, or equally a single. I haven't looked at Sarolea, but I was thinking of Fafnir. Can you measure the width of the lugs that take the engine plates? Fafnir motors used very narrow lugs.

Against a continental id is that some of the frame lugs are quite heavy, particularly the one at the lower end of the steering head. European stuff was typically quite elegant. Brown Bros was a good thought, but I can't see the funny bottom bracket lug anywhere in the Brown range.

Cheers

Leon

Jonny The Goat:
Hi Leon, The engine lugs are a bit over 1.5" across and probably closer to 40mm incase having a metric size for continental bikes. The space between the front engine lug and the closest rear part of the engine fitting lug is 160. The steering lug parts are 40mm OD on fork bearing parts. The front engine lug has a small fin on the front facing side that is a neat touch, unsure if it really adds to aerodynamics but looks nice :)
           Cheers, Jon   

cardan:

Metric measurements make sense, because the frame is French, from a 1904-5 Alcyon. This model was usually seen with a Buchet motor - it appears there was a lightweight version using a Swiss Zedel motor, but this used a slightly different central lug.

The black-and-white illustration shows the Alcyon-Buchet. I had trouble finding drawings or photos that showed the frame details to compare with the surviving frame, but I did find some photos of a "restored" Alcyon "racer", fitted with an OHV Buchet motor. I strongly suspect this machine is not what it pretends to be, and that the frame is the standard Alcyon frame with the lower tank rail removed to make room for the tall OHV engine. I could be wrong; perhaps it is real. Anyway, if you study the photos I think you'll find - lower tank rail detail apart - that the frame is the same as the one under discussion here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/amelien/599426892
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amelien/599117041

Cheers

Leon

Jonny The Goat:
Holy cow, how do you do it :) I think one again you have it spot on. I see what you mean about the frame on the bike shown as I would think it would of been unusual to not of had a lower frame rail at that time. Thanks leon for all you help. Now to see if I can find someone that this will appeal to as I do not think I have patience to try and find parts to make a bike like that. It would probably take a lifetime if it could be done.
       Kind regards, Jon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version