Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

triumph t 100

(1/11) > >>

marty 31:
I have been offered a 1972 tiger 100, its a import with high style exhausts, it will have a close ratio gearbox and am wondering if its suitable for normal road use or will it be revving to high for pottering about at 60-70 mph and general road use?

john.k:
The revs at any speed in 4th are not related to the gear ratios,but to your final drive ratios.........in other words ,you can change the gearbox sprocket to suit your self............But a close ratio box can become a real problem if you expect to drive in traffic......In effect,you will have no first gear,and be starting in second gear ratio ....and slipping the clutch........If the motor is highly tuned with high CR and oversize carbies the bike will be a nightmare in traffic............

Rex:
The C range CR box (if this bike still has it) is well-suited to road use as it was more selling point than performance addition.
Anyway, if it was not to your liking it could be changed for a standard cluster in a morning and sold on. They're sort-after items.

TGR90B:
Buy it on price and condition. The late ones have no problem with high revs.

mini-me:
Sure its a close ratio and not a wide one?

T100 tough old motor, not a bad bike at all. Handle well, good brakes compact size machine nice and light for old geezers.

I used to maintain a fleet of them for City London plod, worst things was swinging arm wear and crap electrical switch gear, easily fixed.

If it has  single carb and a wide ratio or standard box it'll be a pussy cat compared to modern bikes.
Junk the high level exhausts for a high level 2 in 1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version