Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

Start up 1969 Triumph T100 Tiger after sitting for years.

(1/4) > >>

stevestriumph:
Just fired up a 1969 Triumph T100 Tiger for the first time in years. I have no history on the engine or repairs etc. After a good tune and service the bike started right up. Rode it and everything seemed in order. Upon return home, after just a couple of miles, there was significant oil coming out of the crankcase breather. Is it advisable to flush out the lubrication system on these bikes prior to start up and if so what should one use? I was getting good oil return to the tank but I did not check the pressure. Any thoughts? Steve

mini-me:
Probably just excess oil in the crankcase.
Don't flush it, ride it.

Its also possible the rings might be stuck or some bore wear damage.  Do a compression check.

There is no way  to check oil pressure I know of, as long as it returns that's enough; the return should be in hiccups, if it was  a steady flow, then it was excess oil.

iansoady:
Did you drain the crankcase as well as the tank when you serviced it, and if so did much come out? If not, probably a minor case of wet sumping although this is less common with Triumph plunger pumps than Norton / BSA gear pumps.

mini-me:
Where have all these tigers escaped from lately?

iansoady:
Maybe it's the same one passing from hand to hand?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version