Author Topic: Needle in a Haystack?  (Read 6145 times)

Offline vintage_keith

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Occasional blog
    • Email
Needle in a Haystack?
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:43:27 AM »
This is an extremely longshot, but who knows what may turn up?
Back in 2001, a friend in Oz (who I've lost touch with - why do people change their email address when it's the only contact detail you have? Are they trying to tell me something?) placed an advert for me in one or more Oz motorcycling magazines. I was interested in tracing owners of a particular New Hudson model range from the early 30s. One reply was forwarded on to me, from a Colin D Hutton, who at the time had an email address of cobala@bigpond.com. Colin had the remains of a couple of bikes slightly earlier than the model range I was interested in, so other than exchanging pleasantries, it fizzled out.
Turn the clock on 13 years, and guess what - I bought 2 incomplete projects of the same type as Colin had! I've tried to locate Colin a few times over the last 4 years with no success. I notice that a goodly proportion of the crowd on here are out in Oz, and wondered if any of you might know of Colin, if he's still around and how I can contact him?
I know Oz in a massive place, but there's only a 1/3 of you compared to the overcrowded UK, so I'm sure you'll all know each other  ;)
New Hudsons prior to 1934 are thin on the ground to start off with, but as soon as you start looking at a particular model, the numbers drop off a cliff!
Cheers Keith

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Needle in a Haystack?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:09:22 AM »
Do you know what state he lived in?
Cannot find any funeral notices for Colin D Hutton (plenty of other Huttons) so he may still be around. Any other things that you know that may help with finding him?
Yes, it's a big country but the interweb makes it small again.

Offline JimD

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
Keith

He may simply have have become fed up with Telstra  ::) (bigpond) and moved to another internet provider, so its possible he's still around.

Cheers
Jim

Offline vintage_keith

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Occasional blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »
Hi Guys
Unfortunately, I've got nothing else to go on. No location, nothing.
There may have been a phone number back in 2001, but the emails from back then have all fallen out of the bottom of the computer.
Just hoping that someone may recognise the name...............once we get snared by bikes, it's not so often that we give it up.
cheers

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:31:18 AM »
Looked in the on line phone book which also has snail mail addresses. Lots of C Hutton but no C D Hutton. I'd suggest you do the same. Then pick out one Hutton from each State and send a letter. Repeat as necessary. Eventually you will strike a relative who will up date you.
 A simple one page three paragraph letter with your email address will do it.

Offline friday

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »
Im not the greatest computer dude but I just pasted the email address on search and got colin.httn@bigpond.com   .......... who knows?

Offline vintage_keith

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Occasional blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 11:27:22 PM »
That email doesn't come up when I try it, must be something to do with being 1/2 a world away.
I've dropped the guy an email just in case.
Thanks for that.