Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

bsa lightning

<< < (6/6)

marty 31:

--- Quote from: L.A.B. on December 03, 2018, 10:20:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 03, 2018, 09:51:14 PM ---
its boyer ignition with a duel small modern type coils
 which I assume is 12 volt as the rest of the bike, its a lot of years since I messed with brits but to me the spark always looked small,
--- End quote ---

Which Boyer ignition?
The only Boyer ignition to use the miniature coils is the digital (blue box) Micro-Power ignition.

If it is the Micro Power then it would normally have one dual output 12V miniature coil.

Other Boyer systems such as Micro-MkIII, Micro MkIV, (both black box) and Micro Digital (red box) must use conventional coils, normally either two 6V coils connected in series or one conventional 12V dual output coil.

--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 03, 2018, 09:51:14 PM ---it also has a management box,
--- End quote ---

What make/type of "management box"? I assume you mean a regulator/rectifier?

--- End quote ---
its blue box, the exact kit you have kindly shown, the exact same coils etc the modern type regulator/rectifier dosent seem to have a makers name on it, these modern add ons are all a good idea but bypass the makers manual, and the more ore less cheap process of elimination, thanx for the help so far, another thought is could the earth on the coils be maybe not good enough? as they are not earthed direct from the fixing because they had to be cable tied to the frame and couldn't be fixed to it,

L.A.B.:

--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 04, 2018, 09:29:21 PM ---its blue box, the exact kit you have kindly shown, the exact same coils etc
--- End quote ---

You say "coils"? I assume you mean the single dual output coil as shown in the picture and not two separate single output coils?

If you do actually mean two separate single coils then how are they wired?

--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 04, 2018, 09:29:21 PM ---the modern type regulator/rectifier dosent seem to have a makers name on it, these modern add ons are all a good idea but bypass the makers manual,
--- End quote ---

Does charging system appear to be working normally? Have you checked the voltage (both battery and charging)?

--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 04, 2018, 09:29:21 PM ---another thought is could the earth on the coils be maybe not good enough? as they are not earthed direct from the fixing because they had to be cable tied to the frame and couldn't be fixed to it,
--- End quote ---

According to the Micro-Power instructions (below), only the (+) terminal (of the dual coil) has to be earthed (the coil body is plastic) and only if positive earth.

http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT00281.pdf

marty 31:

--- Quote from: L.A.B. on December 04, 2018, 10:50:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 04, 2018, 09:29:21 PM ---its blue box, the exact kit you have kindly shown, the exact same coils etc
--- End quote ---

You say "coils"? I assume you mean the single dual output coil as shown in the picture and not two separate single output coils?

If you do actually mean two separate single coils then how are they wired?

--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 04, 2018, 09:29:21 PM ---the modern type regulator/rectifier dosent seem to have a makers name on it, these modern add ons are all a good idea but bypass the makers manual,
--- End quote ---

Does charging system appear to be working normally? Have you checked the voltage (both battery and charging)?

--- Quote from: marty 31 on December 04, 2018, 09:29:21 PM ---another thought is could the earth on the coils be maybe not good enough? as they are not earthed direct from the fixing because they had to be cable tied to the frame and couldn't be fixed to it,
--- End quote ---

According to the Micro-Power instructions (below), only the (+) terminal (of the dual coil) has to be earthed (the coil body is plastic) and only if positive earth.

http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT00281.pdf

--- End quote ---
yeah duel output exact one in the pic, and it has a new battery that charges fine, also its wired same as the makers diagram positive earth

marty 31:
a update on my lightning problem, the coils were changed, the bike suddenly developed a sporadic misfire, fitting heat retarding spacers between the carbs and head resulted in the carbs being noticeably cooler, changing the coils back to the original, resulted in the bike now starting first or second kick, hot or cold, after changing the oil, replacing the gaskets between the sump plate and the casings and being mega careful, the bike is now 100% oil tight, running superb, starting and running correctly (hot and cold) a pleasure to ride, a success story, thank you to all involved in giving advice, all helping in the end result.

iansoady:
Good news, thanks for coming back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version