Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

bsa lightning

<< < (2/6) > >>

L.A.B.:

--- Quote from: marty 31 on September 24, 2018, 10:44:00 PM ---after looking at the parts list, the heat spacer looks more like a thick gasket, would that be right?
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure but if they were then the originals could have been an asbestos composite material which you wouldn't necessarily want and probably aren't available now.

--- Quote from: marty 31 on September 24, 2018, 10:44:00 PM --- or as I was expecting would it be a proper spacer? ie maybe 10-15mm thick or so?
--- End quote ---

The thicker the better but I don't think the studs would be long enough for ones 10-15mm thick and the 70-7821 spacers available are thinner.

TGR90B:
It depends on the insulation properties of the material. I think a material called tufnol (?) is effective at about 3mm thick. It's only to stop conducted heat between the flanges and minimise fuel evaporation.

iansoady:
Hitchcocks among others stock Tufnol spacers.

marty 31:
think I have the 3mm ones from a srm gasket set, good job for sunday, tank off, fiddly carbs adjusted, and gaskets fitted, then if dry go go go, thanks for the much appreciated advice and I will update the outcome

33d6:
You describe the classic symptoms of a dying ignition system, that is, starts well when cold but a pig when hot. This is something that is nigh impossible to pick up beforehand and only starts to show after a good run when the engine is well and truly hot. Your professional rebuilder would have had little chance of picking it up given the limited miles they are able to put on a bike before it is returned to it's owner.

By all means do everything that has been suggested above. They will all help ease the burden on the ignition a little and are sensible suggestions anyway but they won't effect a permanent cure. The approaching cooler weather will also help as the engine will take longer to get really hot. The real test will come on the first hot day of next summer and you do your first long ride of the season.

If you can find an ancient old time mechanic ask him how often are carburettor problems cured by sorting out the ignition. He will have entertaining stories to tell you.

Best of luck with the beastie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version