Author Topic: Monet Goyon Identification  (Read 22395 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Monet Goyon Identification
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 04:37:29 PM »
750 quids is quite  a lot for that, especially in Ireland where I reckon there is less demand for french bikes than here.

Are you sure you weren't bid up?

Up to you now which way you jump, me?  I'd bung it on ebay and see what it fetched.

probably cost 100-150€ in a french yard sale.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »
Just think, if that was a crappy old Brough SS100 it would only be worth £200k.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »
I had 3 Broughs through my hands in the 1970s

never again.

Offline friday

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »
^^wanna know more .   werent the motors JAP ? finnicky ? lucas problems ?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 03:55:18 PM »
one had an ohv jap others SS80 with Matchless engines, and another i forgot a 680 spring frame.

These things are bought by people who have bought into the Bullshit and investment crap and generally can't ride a bike.

I exclude people who have owned their bikes for a long time. Those get to ride them.

Jap engines were always primitive, exposed valves,pilgrim pumps, oil oil chucked all over, fragile soldered tanks.

Sturmey gearboxes not really up to the power of the Jap engines, later upright norton boxes with those silly breakable lugs and exposed linkages.
 Just bought in parts like many other bikes of the era, about the only thing made in the BS works was the frame and the tank, soldered because they couldn't afford press work.
Rear hubs were Royal Enfield and I know many more war Nortons have been split just for those hubs. Faking or fiddling scrap Broughs is big business

I had one with a petrol tube sidecar that I could not get a 1000quid for, sold it into the trade at my cost. I found the owners to be as tightfisted as Vincent owners. [I must admit that todays silly prices rankle a bit].

The Brough myth is all bullshite and George Brough was a master of it.

As for ooooh Lawrence of Arabia rode them, don't get me started on the myth of that nonce. >:(

Let those who have the money buy them, leaves more rideable bikes for the rest.

have I made my point? ;D

Offline friday

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
tell us how you really feel

good to get feed back , not that Im in the auction house for one of these . Im not surprised to read what you saying . I was gonna post in other thread that the BS and coventry had the same engine .
I guessed the only thing BS was the basic chassis .
its unbeleivable that people with lots of dosh go for mc . why ?
a new bench mark pops up and the rich folk flock to buy . look at price on HD knuckleheads for god sake . notice a few japan HD bikes are on ebay now , maybe its worn off now ?
the millionaires might go back to the golf course

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
Motorcycles like this are portable property, easy to hide from the tax man, and possibly a good way of money laundering.
They'll never be ridden again.

Those JAP V twin engines went in quite a few bikes, as well as Morgans but I'd rather have a Coventry Eagle Flying eight although they  get near Brough prices now.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »
Your first statement is spot on .No ,not me......As for Jap Vtwins ,most I see around came from rail trolleys and factory trucks.....Not according to the tossers who reckon they are from some unknown BS .Most unusual place for a Jap KT ive seen was as starter on a Ruston motor in big crawler crane....70RB.?....Factory fitted original.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 01:49:55 PM »
Allegedly the quick and dirty way to tell a JAP bike engine from one from an industrial engine is the bike crankshaft will have a tapered crankshaft for the drive while the industrial unit will have a parallel keyed shaft.

Offline mowbar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »
Sorry old chap, this bike is a lash up, that engine is out of a lawnmower or some other industrial application.
If you look at the engine plates you will see there is an extra hole sticking out of the front, a sure sign that engine is not out that frame.
I have seen this  kind of set up before.
The carb position is all wrong, and I'm unhappy about the gearbox and the way it is fitted.

Did I ask if it was ever registered in Ireland?

On the head-stock, and as is common to most bikes on the continong, you  should have a small plate on which are stamped various details about the bike,  model, engine size, date of manufacture and so on. Is there one?

It may even have started life as a Kohler-Escoffier, sister to Monet Goyon, like AJS/Matchless.

Time to make a hard decision I think, but FFS, do not spend any money on it,cut your losses.

plate will look similar to this  https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Plaque-de-cadre-moto-Peugeot-/173502648382?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

or  http://guigui-monetgoyons6vu.blogspot.com/2014/02/plaque-de-cadre.html

and here is a site covering Monet Goyon two strokes for you to look over.

http://www.monet-goyon.net/2tempsAVG.html

I might be wrong about that extra hole, seems to be one on these, so far type ZA2 1931 look close to what yours is meant to be.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:50:33 PM by mini-me »

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
I agree, the position of that carb says "lawnmower"  rather than "bike".
There's too much of a mix of "shiny" and "rusty" for this to be anything other than a lash. If you could get it running for peanuts then it could be a bit of fun for you but you really don't want to be shelling-out for any sort of restoration.
Just had a thought....given the industrial carb position and the extra bracing on the frame, maybe this started out as one of those three-wheel delivery trucks with two front and one rear wheel, and the articulated front load bed?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »
Possible Rex, but I'm not sure.

I'm now wondering if it's not a case of maybe just a top end thats wrong? bunged on just to keep it going?

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 10:09:46 PM »
Hi All,
Going OT here somewhat
Allegedly the quick and dirty way to tell a JAP bike engine from one from an industrial engine is the bike crankshaft will have a tapered crankshaft for the drive while the industrial unit will have a parallel keyed shaft.

Not always the case,
Usually industrial engines will show some evidence of a cooling fan or shroud mountings and quite a lot have either extended crank or cam shafts to drive the cooling fan or for a starting handle

I visited the so called "National motorcycle museum" in USA a couple of weeks age where I saw a JAP 600 industrial engine labelled "JAP from the Teens", (it was more than likely ex Howard Gem rotovator as it was identical to one I have) .. The person in charge was happy to take note of the correction I offered   ::) ::)

John