Author Topic: ID this fuel tank ?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
ID this fuel tank ?
« on: October 09, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
Hi guys, not much to go on with this I am afraid but maybe someone will know. Just got back from local auction viewing. One lot has a lot of vintage bike parts and a really nice fuel tank. Sadly I did not have camera or phone with me. The tank is missing the emblems but they would clip on. has knee pads and around the bottom edge is a fitted rubber beading that would be factory. I would think its 50's or 60's ? The other thing that may help is the fuel filler cap that looks original to the tank has what I think is a Hare running on. Any ideas ? I would think all the old bike parts that are with it come from the same bike.
 Cheers, Jon

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ID this fuel tank ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »
I have some photos so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can crack this case. I have searched hundreds of online photos of bikes, tanks and even knee pad shapes but it has beaten me :( Any ideas ?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:22:41 PM »
Russian/East european/poss chines
tank filler motif should ID,

Don't touch it if its Russian probably covered in novichok :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

fill it with concrete, nice boat anchor .
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:27:53 PM by mini-me »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
Indeed, I got a tank like that with some other stuff, and it was Dnieper or Cossack or Voshkod or something similar.
The leaping rabbit (?) motif would say for sure, I'd have to dig out where/how I looked it up.
The deep black paint was soooo deep, a few chipmarks took lots of paint to fill ...

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:29:44 PM »
He's nailed it, Voshkod 175.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »
Commie crap. Try using that as a boat anchor and it'd probably float..

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »
Oddly, I am not that far from Salisbury :) Well done looking at the bike you mentioned once again you have solved the case. I would say though the Commie comment was a bit uncalled for, even though it may be from a bike you or indeed I would not want to own some people do. It is a very well made and solid tank and if anything made from thicker metal than it really needs to be and is in far better order than I would suspect a british tank would be from this time if just kept in a damp shed. Still at least now I know what it is I will be able to sleep at nights :)  cheers, Jon