Author Topic: 1974 model T100R tank colours.  (Read 3696 times)

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
1974 model T100R tank colours.
« on: November 20, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
I am going to get my tank repainted from the present non standard colour. The correct colours are ice white/argosy blue. Does anyone have the RAL or BS references for these colours. The white is obviously not so critical.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1974 model T100R tank colours.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »
Ford had an Ice White, and I think Renault had the blue (don't quote me as it was a few years ago when I painted it).

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »

Some paint suppliers have books of colour chips, select the one you like ?

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:58:54 AM »
I had my ‘72 T120V sprayed earlier this year. The bloke who sprayed it said there wasn’t a cat in hells chance of getting the original colour, mainly because of the different materials used to make paint nowadays. I’m not sure if this was a cock and bull story to make life easier for him but is seemed plausible at the time. I ended up choosing the colours from his colour charts that suited my memory of the bike from 40 years ago.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 02:29:10 PM »
your man was talking out his empty paint tin. Colours are immutable, fixed in physics.

Some years ago I went into a house paint store to get a match for some older paint, "no said the pea-brain in there,  "we don't do that colour any more this year they are all new colours"

'No they aren't'
'yes they are'
'no they aren't'

I said to her, ' if you could invent a new colour you'd be rich  beyond all dreams, colours are fixed,you have your basic spectrum, thereafter its all shades, pigments and mixes, just the silly names dreamed up are new'

She just could not get it, i't says in the colour chart they are all new'.

,more or less the same applies to your useless painter.

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »
your useless painter.
He’s not useless, he’s very good.

I think for him it wasn’t worth the hassle of going away from his normal supplier to find a particular colour match from a colour name that hadn’t been used for over forty years. If he was to have the paint mixed where was he going to get the original colour sample from and how much had that sample faided over the years.

I did just what R has suggested and chose standard colours from his paint charts that my rose tinted glasses told me were the original ones, but more to the point were colours I liked and looked good together.

This is about the best info I found when l was researching the colours for mine though it’s too previous for me and the O.P.
https://triumphbonneville120.co.uk/paint-specifications.php
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:32:19 PM by Grunt »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
Its possible to get the formula to mix up older type paints - but the accounts above are (partly) right,
the ingredients to do it like that are no longer available. !!
Under their old names - according to the old formulas.

They can start from scratch, and try to get modern ingredients to get a good match.
Including having these computer color scans to try to get the ingredient mix right.
The skill of the operator plays no small part in this, aren't there said to be so many possible shades these
days that every vehicle on the planet could be a (slightly) different color.

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
Dunno if you’ve got anywhere but I’ve Just discovered this site which is linked from Terry Macdonalds site it doesn’t give RAL or BS numbers but may be a help.

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php?setlocale=true#makeid=119&modelid=3816&prodyear=1962

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »
Paint ordered from RS. Excellent service, if a tad pricey. Thanks very much for the contact.
Dave.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:24:14 PM »
Today I checked an old photo (tank currently black) for the colour pattern. I realised that I'd mixed up my primary and secondary colours. I rang RS who were about to despatch and they kindly swapped the quantities. Good, helpful company.

Apparently the Argosy blue metalic is a water based paint. Not a lotta people know that.