Author Topic: izh planeta2 charging problem  (Read 3901 times)

Offline emilios

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
izh planeta2 charging problem
« on: October 21, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »
Hello guys
im restoring a russian bike for the first time..and probably last also..
I had install a NOS generator and a new regulator..
when the bike start the light for charging turns off which mean the bike is charging..also the headlamp it goes stronger when i rev the bike..
Till here everything looks good..
The problem is that when i check my battery with voltmeter(engine run) i see weird numbers..between 8 and 19 volts but not stable and cant be readen..
It never happens to me this situation..
Anyone had this problem again and can help?
Thanks in advance

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: izh planeta2 charging problem
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:28:23 PM »
I have heard digital meters can give funny readings under certain circumstances. If that's what you're using, try an analogue (needle) meter. If every thing else is OK and the battery shows the correct voltage (engine not running) and holds it's charge, I would ignore it. Why did you check the battery voltage with the engine running? It's not the normal way to do it.
More informed opinion may follow. Good luck with it.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
I would check with the engine running as that will give you a good idea of the charging voltage. However, Emilios' readings are strange. Perhaps due to a voltage regulator hunting?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:46:47 AM »
if its truly a DC generator and regulator.....the vibrating points of the voltage regulation coil will be producing spikes read by the digital meter......So,if the battery stays charged ,and doesnt boil over,then its best to leave well alone...If its a AC system,then lights may work,but the battery will not charge,and generally boil dry ...........Also ,no system will give meaningful readings if the battery is sulfated/flat/dry.,although the lights will usually work.