Author Topic: Moyet et Goyon Starlett 125cc registration  (Read 4283 times)

Offline robel

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Moyet et Goyon Starlett 125cc registration
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
I am new to this site but experienced over many years building and restoring bikes.  I do all my own work, mechanical and particularly electrical.  I hope I can contribute to the forums in a number of ways.  Currently I have a TZR250 1kt that I have totally rebuilt, a GS550 that I bought in boxes considerably chopped which I am rebuilding as a café racer and a Monet et Goyon Starlett 125cc.  This is complete and in 'reasonable' condition although I want to restore it to as new condition.  I now have NOVA approval with numbers and have downloaded the registration form.  This is the first import I have handled and among the many questions I am being asked to provide a 'dating certificate'.  I believe the bike to be first registered in France in 1957 but how can I get proof of this that the DLVA will accept.  I'm sure I'll have many more questions but this is the start.  Thanks for any suggestions.  I'll put some pics up later.

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moyet et Goyon Starlett 125cc registration
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
8 views and no replies so I’ll give you my dodgy twopennorth.

The dating certificate has to be obtained from a recognised club which will probably charge unless you join. The vehicle also has to be in a condition where it would pass an MoT at the point of applying for the certificate.

The reason this could be dodgy info is because it’s over five years since I obtained a registration certificate and it was for a tractor, I went to the local DVLA office and I believe they have all been closed now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:13:21 AM by Grunt »

Offline robel

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
If this is still the case it is a bit of a delemma (no idea how you spell that). To pass the MOT I will have to do a major rebuild, at the same I would want to respray, rechome, fit electronic ignition etc I.e. spend a lot of money on it. If I then could not get a registration on it - total waste!!

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »
If doesn't need to be MoT-able or even run to get a new V5C.
Earlier this year I applied for a V5C for my (very) non-running Guzzi. I had to supply a few pics to the Guzzi club who then provided the necessary dating certificate, then this plus a NOVA certificate (which I had to retrospectively apply for, but was issued with no problem) the V55/5 form, two forms of printed ID (bills etc) and the money were sent to the DVLA by a signed-for letter. Too much time and effort invested for the DVLA to then turn around and blame the Royal Mail when it gets lost in the DVLA's internal mayhem.
However, should you apply for the dating certificate from the all-powerful VMCC, expect more hoops and red-tape than the DVLA. Bloody expensive they are  too... :o

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
I think you have misunderstood me. I meant it had to be in a roadworthy condition i.e. if it went for an MoT it would pass. It wouldn’t need an MoT because of its age. When I did my tractor I believe they could insist I took it to be examined, I did provide them with plenty of before and after photos.

Having had a quick look on here
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/old-vehicles
It would appear that if your vehicle was of an age where it wasn’t MoT exempt then it would need to be MoT’d before you could get it registered.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
The mentioned Guzzi didn't run then and doesn't run now. It's partially dismantled and the tyres (just as one failure point) are both perished and rock-hard, however due to it's age it's MoT exempt so the requirement for an MoT wouldn't have applied in this case anyway, but then it wouldn't in the M-G case either.

Offline robel

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
See what you mean about cost via the VMCC route but by the time I've tried to go through the MG club in France it might be my best option.  I do not have a lot of time available.  The only thing I need to understand from them is in he condition that the bike should be in.