Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

Is a Sunbeam S8 capable of cruising at 57mph?

<< < (5/5)

mini-me:
I've been browsing through some 1949 bike mags and the small ads for 1949 show in iteresting amount of nearly new S8 for sale.

I wonder why?

Jonny The Goat:
33d6 Ugly ? The S7 is one of the most stunning British bikes built and its not just owners who think this is the majority of anyone who sees one be they a bike rider or not. Yes I am biased as I own one and out of all my bikes it is the one I will always keep. Yes you can maintain 60+ quite easy for long periods, I have traveled to london and back from Frome a few times on M4 and M3 at 70 and a bit more with no problems and also from my home to the Lake district 2 up again with some motorway driving. I would agree with mini me in that motorway driving is really not safe and will plan my next trips on any of my bikes to avoid motorways if possible but should I end up on one then I have no fears about not keeping up with the traffic. A S8 if properly maintained will be as fast and maybe even a better riding experience than my S7 but sadly it does not have quite the look and style of a S7 so I will not buy one myself but if you want one just maintain it and enjoy it. 

kerabo:
I have one and they will touch that sort of speed in fact the road test is high 70s I think.

But

They are not a brilliant engine. Get hot if used hard and then blow by and make crankcase pressure and leak oil.
Some seem better than others. Sweet little thing if used carefully.

45 to 50 is a better cruising speed.

The rear drives were weak but I think they detuned the engine to take the load off it.
So if kept full of oil should be ok.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version