Author Topic: 350 cc side valve JAP engine parts needed  (Read 19354 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 350 cc side valve JAP engine parts needed
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 01:50:07 PM »
Each to their own, to me its junk.
At Shepton there was an Ariel Colt  with a modern engine in it, which was neat tidy and roadworthy, the very opposite of this pile of tat, wich does no-one any favours and just takes the piss out of historic vehicle exemptions.

Lets hope its just for limping around a backyard somewhere. Not the road.

Offline Mobike

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:30 AM »
To those that are mortally offended by my subject matter,I have a 51 500 ajs and a b31 fitted with a  32 competition engine,both in very good restored condition!
I have owned the project for a week!
Of course bare chains etc need attention and I am already sourcing possibilities.
Based on some comments I suppose putting a 47 competition engine in a 54 plunger frame is pointless too?
This is a "bit of fun,,,," remember what that is?
Just a little of my background,I nursed my late wife through cancer from start to the end.Even to the extent of keeping her at home to pass away as "she"had requested,against her own family trying to  palm her off to hospital even though it was me doing "all" the caring!
So if "My bit of fun offends you" why choose to read it?
I have never been a sheep and followed the crowd,I leave that to others...

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
Each to their own, to me its junk.
At Shepton there was an Ariel Colt  with a modern engine in it, which was neat tidy and roadworthy,

At a run last year someone turned up on an Ariel Arrow with a Honda CD200 engine fitted. Nice job, and you had to look twice to even notice the change.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2019, 05:37:48 PM »
The JAP engines your father enthused about were not cooking ex agricutural engines but entirely different hot stuff.

I am not mortally offended but I do spend time trying to help inexperienced motorcyclists out, by passing on almost 55 years of knowledge mostly hard won,often expensively. That is advice I used to get paid for.

When confronted with such a pile of kack, not just yours, there are lots of others, I wonder why I should bother, because it will never be a viable motorcycle.

I have been told you also feature it on another site, I am surprised that miserable bunch tolerate it there.

I sympathise with the loss of your wife, although what its got to do with here I don't understand. My first wife spent 13 years as a bedriddren doubly incontinent cabbage,  so I share similar grief.

Offline Mobike

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
I agree Rex,there are many "Specials" out there,some not to my taste or possibly yours..But motorcycles and other vehicles have been converted and adapted since they were first madeFor me part of this hobby isnt just about whatever machine i may ride,but to me this hobby encompasses "all" aspects and I don't pre judge someone because they have a passion for Lambretta s,though to me personally they do not appeal!
I can appreciate a Brough Superior or such as much as a Bsa Bantam...
T he many early machines had their beginings using engines etc produced by others.J.AP. engines being a good example,they were used by many from Excelsior to Brough superior!
I am retired on a limited budget ,have had British motorcycles since the age of thirteen ,own a 51 500cc AJS ,a b31 /32which i ride regularly and grew up with a father and elder brothers  all riding British motorcycles.
Since buying this project i have spent many hours researching the J.A.P company their engines would often be the topic of  conversation my father held them in high regard,along with others he owned,Rudge,Matchless,many more I have forgotten ,Alldays&Onions being one i had to look up having never heard of them!
My late father race tuned (himself) a 1937 Triumph Tiger at Brands Hatch and was in the same races as John Surtees when he made his debut there,also mounted on a Tiger.
For me the "small investment "made buying this project was barely what "I " could pay for the Bsa c11 rolling chassis,which was what I bought the engine was an added interest.
I already have two engines which were made for this machine.
I am not naieve enough for One moment to believe that because the engine was made by JAP it is a racing engine,far from it!
It has the "look" of older machines and it will probably end up in my 1946  girder fork/rigid rear Bsa c11.....
It will give me hours of enjoyment just tinkering and doing " what I want" with my time and money!
It will be used and enjoyed.
It would be nice to see what machines the doom mongers on here own(if any?)
I feel sorry for those that are so fixated in their own ideas,they think anyone else's ideas are not valid .
The VMCC and other clubs say this hobby of ours is doomed as it is only the older folk interested,no wonder if like me they come on here and other forums , genuinely enthusiastic and seeking " helpful advice" from more knowledgeable
? people and  get pointless derogatory comments,perhaps those who run this site should consider this?
On a lighter note many thanks to the genuine enthusiasts that have passed on their "useful" knowledge.
I now know more about Pilgrim pumps and no doubt will be asking more questions,if my words are not for you pass by,it's what I shall do ....