Author Topic: Clutch corks  (Read 3335 times)

Offline kerabo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clutch corks
« on: February 22, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
Looking for 25 clutch corks for a 1936 FB Cruiser
Not available from Villiers.
 20mm top
17mm long
15mm bottom
11mm thick.

If I find some close I can make them fit.

Thanks

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch corks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:14:55 PM »
Use tapered bottle corks. These come in a host of sizes and there will be one suitable for you. They need to be slightly bigger overall than the hole they are to go in. Don't know who would have them in your locality but shops selling home brew kits and supplies are a good place to start making enquiries.

Offline kerabo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »
That did cross my mind. Guess used corks would be OK.

Thank you

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 10:13:09 AM »
Too much bother to hunt up enough used corks. Much easier to just buy a couple of dozen taper corks in one go. Just be sure they are all one piece natural cork and not made up of slices glued together. Nor can you use any form of reconstituted or granulated cork such as tiles.
I don't know about the UK but corks here could be bought in various grades as well as in various sizes. The cheapest and nastiest grade is more than good enough.
Re corking clutch plates would be about the simplest and easiest job to do on a bike but just make sure you have one piece natural corks.
Cheers,

Offline kerabo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:05:08 PM »
It does seem they are hard to find at least in he size I need here in the Uk

I just sanded down 24 for my other plate that is smaller and that was easy enough. Just need these large ones now.

Thanks Ken

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
Ken, This is my local supplier in Oz. www.deebee.com.au You will see the range of corks they supply. I'm sure you can find similar in the UK. You just haven't looked hard enough. You get the cork that is just too big to fit in the hole and then boil them until they are soft,(ten minutes or so). You can then effortlessly squeeze them in place.When they dry out in a day or so they will be immovable. After that trim off the excess with a sharp knife (watch the fingers) then finally sand to thickness. Dead easy.

Do NOT sand to the slot size first and then just pop them in place. That is the path to rapid failure, they need to be over size and squeezed in so they can't move.

Tell us how you get on.
Cheers,

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:33:28 PM »
Traditionally ,whisky bottle corks were favoured.............probably because the spirit had a pickling effect on the cork,not to mention the bike owner.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 11:10:20 PM »
I prefer that option John.K but the finances don't run to buying that much whiskey in one go. It's a hard life sometimes.