Author Topic: 1970 Interceptor Albion Gear Box  (Read 3702 times)

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1970 Interceptor Albion Gear Box
« on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »
I have a 1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 with an Albion 4 speed w/neutral finder lever. All is good, but it pops out of second sometimes. Any wisdom on this?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1970 Interceptor Albion Gear Box
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
I must admit that box isn't one of my favourites but they are robust. I'd be looking at wear on the dogs.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »
I have lots of experience with these and some hard won knowledge! This is a selector problem and is covered in the Workshop Manual. Simply put, if you remove the outer cover you will see the selector mechanism in the middle left of the inner cover. There are a pair of holes in the outer plate of the selector which allow you to see the pawls of the selector ratchet. These must be equally spaced away from the inner ratchet plate, the thing with the square hole in the middle and teeth on the outside. The whole selector mechanism is on pillar screws, loosen these to adjust the gap accordingly. You can test ride it without re-fitting the outer cover so take a spanner and play with it. This should fix it, if not come back and I'll take you to the next step. This gearbox will never be wonderful but should be acceptable with careful adjustment! Once sorted it should stay in adjustment by the way...
I also have a 1970 S2 Interceptor as well as a Mk 1 and a 1A.
REgards, Mark

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:06:42 AM »
Thanks! I'll get to this tomorrow!

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 07:02:21 PM »
You may also be interested to know there is a Yahoo Group for Interceptor Owners (actually, it's widened to all Enfield and Indian twins) at  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RE_Interceptor/info  If you sign up to join (it's a moderated Group) it may take a few days to approve your application so be patient! Most Group members are in the US as that's where the bulk of the bikes went, you might find an owner near you?
REgards, mark

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
Thanks for that... I'll check it out.

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
Thanks! I'll get to this tomorrow!
[/quote

Is this the area to be sure is equal?

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 12:08:24 AM »
Thanks all, this problem is fixed. I did the selector adjustment and noticed the cover for clutch rod... was on wrong. The beveled side was reversed. So, going to second was also being interfered with by that. Thanks for the help!

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
Excellent news! This is one of the slightly more unusual faults I have found over the years. It is not obvious the clutch pushrod cover has a cutaway to clear the movement of the selector lever, they are often replaced in the wrong orientation when replacing the kick start spring. Another problem is omitting the shim that sits under the neutral finder lever, without it the lever is binding against the selector outer case causing poor or no travel of the gear lever = loss of gears!
REgards, Mark

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 11:32:33 PM »
Thanks again all. Gears are good now. Also Mark - the shims are there, so I'm good with that.