Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

Coventry Eagle

<< < (2/5) > >>

Rex:

R:
Pretty little jigger, isn't it. And technically much to cast an eye over.
So have you bought it, or still pondering ?

One thing I would comment is that open primary looks like trouble, a more substantial
guard to keep clothing and boots/toes out of that primary chain and clutch looks essential.
Or you'll need to lay in a stock of boot repair materials... ?

33d6:
Marvellous! And definitely a riding bike, not a show pony. With the various mods and tweaks I see the owner and I are very much on the same wavelength. He would find much the same on my Excelsior. Look at em.
Transverse 'coffee pot' silencer with single outlet. My preference is for a smaller diameter and shorter tail pipe but domestic harmony requires the tail pipe extend past the foot rest. Oily footprints on kitchen floors aren't popular.
No external oil pipes. I suspect this engine isn't "pure" Super Sports but may be a hybrid built up with a Mk12C bottom end and Super Sport top end. One can do this with all standard Villiers parts without any fancy modifications thus gaining the joys of Super Sport riding without being twitchy about the original Villiers automatic oiling system. Petroil may be crude but it's practical. 
One can go a step further and use the special Mk12C bottom end Villiers made solely for Cov Eagle. This has a drive side crankcase modified with mountings for a proper enclosed primary chaincase should an owner wish to go down this track thus meeting R's concerns above.  How do I know these things? Because the Cov Eagle owner is riding his and the 33d6 example is still on the building bench.
It has a three speed gearbox fitted. I discussed that in my earlier post. Not a great improvement over the two speed but it does ensure it will not be defeated by any road on any hill.
It has the most practical carb set up with the carb needle adjustable from the handlebars rather than the cheaper and awkward to use rod adjuster fitted directly to the carb. It also has a later model 6E air filter fitted. This makes riding so much easier.
I could go on about the use of modern handlebar levers rather than the original inverted, et, etc, but why? To my mind the owner has built up a very practical and willing bike. I think it's a little ripper.

john.k:
Its a pretty little bike,which is not often said about CE s.............the racing primary means you will never need to trim your toenails.

Rex:
Someone offered it as a P/X on an Enfield I'm selling, but I wanted second opinions on whether it was a pile-o-parts thrown together or something approaching a desirable bike.
Normally I don't consider any bike below a 350 (and even a 350 reluctantly) so it would probably be more ornament than use to me. The seller seems to have gone cold on the idea anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version