Author Topic: Bike or mower?  (Read 7049 times)

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bike or mower?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 08:33:54 PM »
I feel the same these days, though looking at stalls flogging cheap Taiwan tools and really over-priced "projects" doesn't help.
Average Joes clearing their sheds are great, part-time tat dealers aren't.
Only one cheap tool dealer, some stuff was overpriced but we felt in general it was good
We bought a good assortment of stuff at what we felt where good prices, mostly dealers but a few people having a clear out, we did see a bloke buy a wheel for £350!

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
The Mk6C was a one year production only for motorcycles, 1923 if I remember rightly but continued in ATCO lawnmowers well in to the 1930’s. You can pretty well guarantee any Mk6C you find has come from an ATCO. They are not well suited to powering a motorcycle. Underpowered as their breathing is too restricted.
Decompressors are common on all Villiers two strokes but sometimes are not fitted particularly on really cheap versions. You can see where it is meant to be but the requisite machining hasn’t been done.
The chap on the Villers parts stall told me this too, problem is if its got no brackets I don't think you can tell bike or mower engine apart?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 09:52:20 PM »
For 10 quid its an education, I paid twice that for a mower with oneof these engines!

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 04:56:24 AM »
Oddly, having conducted a Mk8C powered Excelsior for some while I found the forward facing carburettor to be no problem. You take one look and the first thought is that it will suck up every bit of road muck and water you come across but it was never an issue. I'm sure it must have swallowed some bits and bobs but it wasn't bothered by it.

As to why it pointed forward, again, one look and you saw how much a rear facing manifold and carb would interfere with the hand gear change mechanism with both of them fighting for the same space on the bike. Remember, this engine was designed in the early 1920's when  single speed belt drive bikes were still sold new and today's foot gear change was still years in the future. Designers were still finding answers to things we don't even recognise as a problem today. I think this is why I find vintage bikes interesting and modern bikes dull.

Cheers,

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »
For 10 quid its an education, I paid twice that for a mower with oneof these engines!
Cant buy much for £10!
Our 34 Royal Enfield was very expensive at £30!
We will easily have £10 worth of fun trying to get it going and making a stand for it, what I didn't realise at the time is another stall had some of the ignition bits for £1!

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 09:02:55 AM »
Oddly, having conducted a Mk8C powered Excelsior for some while I found the forward facing carburettor to be no problem. You take one look and the first thought is that it will suck up every bit of road muck and water you come across but it was never an issue. I'm sure it must have swallowed some bits and bobs but it wasn't bothered by it.

As to why it pointed forward, again, one look and you saw how much a rear facing manifold and carb would interfere with the hand gear change mechanism with both of them fighting for the same space on the bike. Remember, this engine was designed in the early 1920's when  single speed belt drive bikes were still sold new and today's foot gear change was still years in the future. Designers were still finding answers to things we don't even recognise as a problem today. I think this is why I find vintage bikes interesting and modern bikes dull.

Cheers,
I did wonder about sucking stuff in but as you say its all about space