Author Topic: Mystery part  (Read 8447 times)

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mystery part
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:27:17 PM »
My son bought a box of bits for hid Royal Enfield Model a in amongst them was this, which we dont recognise?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mystery part
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
Looks like a countershaft of some kind, you are certainly scooping up the dustbin.

Not off a bike anyway.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 02:50:42 AM »

Oh that's very nice. I think you'll find that it's the counter-shaft part of a Royal Enfield two-speed gear. They come in different sizes, to suit various machines from 8 h.p. twins down to the 225cc two stroke, and were used from pre-WW1 days (maybe 1910 or so) through into the 1920s.

The plan is that there are two primary chains driving the two sprockets on the input end of the the gear. A selective clutch - operated by a vertical lever attached to doo-dad on the end - decided which ratio is connected to the output shaft, which drives the back wheel by chain on the off side of the machine.

Not much use of the Model A, but someone will love it.

Cheers

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:35:07 AM »
Yes, I agree with Leon. I have my blurb on the Royal Enfield Expanding Band Type of Two-speed Gear sitting in front of me as I write. To quote,

"The engine shaft carries two pinions, and two chains run to the countershaft. Since the engine sprockets are if different sizes, the gear ratio will be higher when the drive is taken through the chain running over the larger one, than when it is taken through the smaller. The Enfield gear consists of two sprockets each having inside it a clutch, with the selector mechanism by means of which either clutch can be brought in to action, locking the sprocket to the shaft which carries the sprocket for the back chain."

On some models the change was effected by a rocking foot pedal, others had a hand change.

As Leo says Royal Enfield fitted these just about across the range and there are minor differences. The heavier versions had roller races on the main shaft bearings where the lighter versions used ball races. They are easy to tell apart when you know what to look for. 

Currently there is a bloke on Facebook trying to sell a 1926 2 speed Royal Enfield two stroke minus both the original engine and your two speed set up. You'd have a flying start on  sorting out a nice little vintage bike.
Cheers,

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 07:00:50 AM »
Thanks gents.
Have you any photos of it in position? A link to the face book bike? I suspect the engine we got in the deal is also very early as from memory its slightly different to the model A but I will have to check

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
I don’t know how you do a link with Facebook but the bod with the 1926 RE for sale says he has put it on eBay so you can see it there. It currently 9d Villiers power unit fitted to it. He lives in Milton Keynes.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 08:23:29 AM »
Have you any photos of it in position?

I think your gear has kick start on the left of the machine, and hand gear change, so maybe something like this 2 1/4 h.p. from 1923.

https://www.yesterdays.nl/product/royal-enfield-1923-model-201-225-cc-1cyl-ts/

Leon

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »

I think your gear has kick start on the left of the machine, and hand gear change, so maybe something like this 2 1/4 h.p. from 1923.

Leon
Thanks I have found it, its a pity he has converted it to a different engine but I understand how hard it can be to get parts, it too expensive for us

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »

Thanks Leon I wish I could find more photos showing the actual bit
Leon
Thanks I have found it, its a pity he has converted it to a different engine but I understand how hard it can be to get parts, it too expensive for us

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 08:52:51 AM »

Perhaps some better photos of the rat bike here:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1134037

It's expensive for the bike with an incorrect Villiers engine, but if you had the correct engine and transmission, complete with engine plates ready to drop in...

Lots of homework would re required.

Leon

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 08:59:21 AM »
Thanks Leon
Whilst its right up our street condition wise as we like the unrestored look, we just can't justify or afford the asking price, we are more at the bargain basement end of the old bike world, what we cant buy cheaply we have to make or fit something else, it does upset the purists but we have little option, the main thing is we just want another old bike on the road again.
Without looking to be certain it looks like we have an early engine and the Gearbox in the pics, but that's only part of the tale as its all the odds and ends that cause the most issues, I think we have 4 carbs but should be able to make one good correct one from the lot.

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 09:04:12 AM »
No I wonder how cheaply we could build a 20's or 30's bike? I still find it hard to believe how much stuff people have hidden away, it needs digging out and re assembling

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »
Just had a quick look, looks like we have a very early engine here's the head/ cylinder with broken fin

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »
Looks like a countershaft of some kind, you are certainly scooping up the dustbin.

Not off a bike anyway.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

well, I learnt something then. ;)

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 11:40:28 AM »
He might be asking a silly price but it may be worthwhile to wait a month or two to see if it sold and then make an offer you’re happy with. Many years ago when magazines and the like came out here by sea mail I would chase up stuff four or five months after it was advertised. You’d be surprised how many times I was successful.
Either he’ll get an eager buyer quickly or he’ll be pleased to negotiate when the weather turns cold. What have you got to lose.