Author Topic: AMAC carburator recognition  (Read 4104 times)

Offline stainless

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
AMAC carburator recognition
« on: August 27, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
hallo, I am Daniele from Italy, I hope you can help me as here the AMAL AMAC carburators are not so common...
at the moment I am owner of a old AMAC carburator but I do not know which model it is or it's age. It should be mounted on my Moto Guzzi Sport 14, a bike produced in November 1929. I know that the passage between AMAC and AMAL was around 1928, but according to some book I have my bike should still mount an AMAC type.

here some pictures of it...

Many thanks for your help...

Daniele

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:23:04 PM by stainless »

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: AMAC carburator recognition
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 06:04:48 AM »
Hi Daniele,

Your carburettor is one that would puzzle a lot of people! You are correct in what you say about the formation of AMAL, but after 1928 AMAC and Binks carburettors were still made and sold. For example, Norton used Binks-branded carburettors (which looked very much like AMAL) on some models in 1930.

AMAC carburettors were used on some British bikes in 1929 and 1930 - almost always on the sporty models. The MD series were not uncommon (the 10MDY might be seen on an early 1930 Model 90 Sunbeam, for example), and the TT series was still around (on top of the line sports bikes) mostly as the 10TT25.

You carburettor is neither of these. The number 6/001 stamped on the body is an AMAL designator, and a near-identical AMAL 6/001 carby (fitted with an AMAL fuel bowl, with AMAL stamped on the top) was used on a number of 350cc overhead valve British bikes for 1930, for example Raleigh and Sunbeam.

AMAC carburettors disappeared from British bikes around 1930, but they were used on the continent well into the 1930s. I'm not sure where they were made.

Anyway, I think your 6/001 AMAC (with French writing on the fuel bowl lid) is just the thing for a 1930 model 350 OHV Moto Guzzi. The bore is only 15/16" (23.8mm), so it might be a bit small if your bike is a 500.

How about a photo of the bike?

Cheers

Leon

Offline stainless

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »
Hallo, first of all thanks for your answer!

So if I understand correctly this carburetor is an original AMAC but produced after the “amalgamation”, and not in England but in this case in France under license I suppose. Maybe this is for the continental market? This represent something rare or common?
Or do you mean it is an AMAL with the cover changed?
If you need, I can take some pictures of the inner parts and components.

Just to sum up, In the literature I have the Moto Guzzi used AMAC carburetors, without any particular specification, for the Sport 14 which is a model produced in 1929 and 1930. Then with the subsequent one, the Sport 15,  it is indicated the AMAL 6/142. Finally from 1933/34 the AMAL was substituted by a national model of the newborn company Dellorto.

And ok you are right, here some pictures of my baby

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »
Cannot help with the carburettor, but very nice Guzzi.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:41:14 AM »

Yes, very nice machine.

Sorry I wasn't clear: the AMAC looks to be an original, possibly made under licence, possibly in France? I've never seen that cast float-chamber lid on a British-made AMAC.

I don't think these post-AMAL AMACs are particularly rare: they come up on ebay France. Of course there are many variations...

Cheers

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »

Looks like made in Paris - just found this c1931 advert on ebay.fr

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
And made under licence from AMAL. Thus the AMAL model designations.

Leon