Author Topic: Can anyone identify this bike?  (Read 11029 times)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Can anyone identify this bike?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »

OK, here's a twist. Motor Cycling tested this OEC Model 34/6 in their issue of 29 August 1934. It's a duplex steering model, so the frame is quite different, but the 198cc engine (presumably Blackburne) is like our mystery bike.

The twist is the rego number: AYV 347 compared with AYV 349 on the mystery bike.

There's a story in there somewhere.

Cheers

Leon

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 01:18:33 PM »
No story at all, number issued from the same block of numbers as issued to large dealers selling new bikes.

That  "178cc" OEC has a   350 AJS engine gearbox and chaincase.

OEC used last years engines from AMC in their bikes; sometimes AJS sometimes Matchless. Some OEC like the one in the cocked up article in Classic Motorcycle some years back clearly showed 70% of the bike, frame, engine, oil tank and other bits came from Plumstead.

OEC factory on the south coast was little more than a lock up garage.

I'm still not convinced that pic 1 is not a Levis,  and its definately two different bikes shown.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:26:06 PM by mini-me »

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Here is the other photo I found. I hope this can help with the identification.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Better detail there, but not much better,  can't you play with contrast and brilliance to bring the detail out?

confirms the bikes in the first two pics are two different bikes, this one is not a Levis though.

engine has the look of an early 30s AJS or even a Stevens, pushrod tubes are reminisente of Sunbeam but its not that.

Stevens also had that duplex downtubes widely spaced, set back timing case with screws, check out Stevens motorcycles.

Exhaust angle isn't quite the same tho' and looks like push on pipes.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:00:12 PM by mini-me »

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 03:28:17 PM »
Better detail there, but not much better,  can't you play with contrast and brilliance to bring the detail out?

If someone could tell me how to do that with contrast, brilliance, I'd give it a try, assuming I have whatever is needed of course.

When I found this photo, there was another one with it. Not of what appears to be the two bikes, but of the other that went along on the trip to Scotland. The photos appear to have been taken at the same time. I can post that if asked, but it appears to me (unless I am sadly mistaken) to be a 500cc Norton. Either an ES2 or a Model 18. Whichever it is, it has the Roadholders. That corresponds  with part of what I was once told about the trip. It doesnt seem to correspond with the bike pictured. If it did, then the photo of the bike with the little lad on it would be a Sunbeam. I think that its already established that it isnt one of those.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 05:22:35 PM »
you should have some kind of photo management on your computer, Paint or what ever

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 07:58:24 AM »
This is the best that I can manage, and its not much of an improvement. From what I can see, there are two external lugs on the timing case. They dont seem to fit in with some engine photos I have found online, neither does the "angle" of the case leading up to the magneto (or is it a magdyno?). Parallel pushrod tubes can just be seen as well. Any help to anyone?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »
Looks like a Matchless engine to me.
Cheers,

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 09:23:08 AM »
To take it a step further, like everyone else in the early 30's Matchless were fitted with 'sloper' engines so the timing cases were at a slightly different angle than when fitted to a vertical engine. When selling their engines to smaller factories as they did in the later 30's they would fit the early 'sloper' timing case on the later vertical engines to give them a different look. The parts were entirely interchangeable. The earlier 'sloper' cases could also have a different (and 'b**y' awkward) type of exhaust valve lifter mounted down on the timing cases which accounts for one of the vague odd lumps you can see.
Matchless or AMC as they were by then sold their engines to both OEC and Ok Supreme at this time and possibly one or two others. Of course they had been making engines for Brough Superior and Morgan cars through the thirties also.
Cheers,

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
Looking online, I found just one photo of an OEC with a Matchless engine. The 35/3 model. It does look like a good match for the photos.

I do have quite a bit of info regarding Matchless motorcycles, but nothing as detailed as 33d6 posted.

Any comments anyone?

Before I forget, thanks for your input everyone.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
Best to just consider it as an unknown old bike? :-\

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »
Yes the last pic is likely a girder fork OEC...........now on the subject of girder fork OECs,there used to be picture of one with a Suzuki engine in it.....and it clearly showed the detail of the upper frame tubes ,under the tank......Now the reason I ask ,is I have a 34 OEC duplex,and Ive a hankerin to remove the duplex front and add a girder fork frame........incidentally,OEC allowed for this ,the frame is joined at the midsection ,top and bottom,and the rear part usable on either ...........and I might add,OEC duplexes are common in Oz ,so im not desecrating a rarity.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »
I live 5 minutes drive from the OEC factory, so maybe I could go and ask them about the bike?
Between the wars the factory used to make a big deal about employing disabled Naval veterans and they were rightly praised for their actions on this.
What they never said was that they paid those veterans the same wage as all the rest less the amount of their disability pensions, so all the workforce ended up being paid the same regardless.
Heaven forbid anyone should get a little extra for being disabled in the service of their country.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 03:55:12 PM »
the "two lugs" are screw holes, probably about 8 round the case, nothing else.
If thats the best you can come up with as a 'useful clue' I'm done with it.

Face it you'll probably never know.

Offline Wavy Gravy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
the "two lugs" are screw holes, probably about 8 round the case, nothing else.
If thats the best you can come up with as a 'useful clue' I'm done with it.

Face it you'll probably never know.

If you think about it, the two lugs may be something that can identify the engine. Some manufacturers used bolts/screws outside the "gasket line" as this one does. Matchless were one of them on some engines. Others have screws inside the gasket line. Others even have the screws in the middle of the case. Some JAP's for example.

From what has been said, theres a reasonable chance that this is a Matchless engined OEC from about 1934 or '35. Which exact model, I've no idea.

Maybe I will never find out what it is, but on the other hand, maybe I will. One thing is certain though. I dont want this to be the first thing that beats me in over 55 years of riding/repairing motorcycles.