Author Topic: Hjh super dragon  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Neilg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hjh super dragon
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
I have hjh super dragon with a 197cc Villiers engine all in very good solid condition ,most has not been on road the frame number suggests it is a 1954 with a square frame sections and was the 21st one built does anyone have any info on where there is another and is it worth spending money restoring it .it has only 10 miles on clock and looks it has not been used or registered .how do I get it registered it has frame number and engine number . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hjh super dragon
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
HJH motorcycles made in Wales, a rare beast and well worth keeping.

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 04:31:36 PM »
Interesting synopsis of the history of the marque here: http://www.bsaotter.com/hjh_motorcycles_made_in_wales..html
REgards, Mark

Offline Neilg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 05:19:58 PM »
Thanks mini-me and mark I have read the info but cannot find one that has been sold or collected

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
I doubt you will, I have only seen one HJH and that was a  moped I think.

Not exactly a mass produced bike,which makes yours all the more interesting.

They seem to have been well made and respected.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:03:32 PM by mini-me »

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
The National Motorcycle Museum doesn't appear to have one on display but they do list an Instruction Manual, all models 1954-6 and a Sales Brochure for 1956 which are photocopies (I think) for sale. I seem to recall that Mike Worthington Williams in his Unearthed column in Old Bike Mart has featured the HJH, you could contact him on worthycomments@btconnect.com.
REgards, Mark

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
If it has a genuine 10 miles on it then please LEAVE IT AS IT IS,   " restoring" it will destroy its value 100%

Offline Neilg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 07:03:18 PM »
Thanks very much for your input,I have received the 2 photo copy brochures today and I have the super sports deluxe model ,it is finished in maroon and is all together and running however the petrol tank is still in raw metal from new and unpainted I would like to find out if it was all painted with chrome or alloy sides or all paint ,it appears to have not been in use which the person I got it off said this . The frame is maroon ,the side panels are maroon on one side black at the other ,the frame number is 54-21 which I am led to believe the year and number made ,can anyone help with any info on tank and panels ,should I restore it or leave it has it is . The exhaust is has new ,the chrome  wheels are fantastic ,the seat is good and original,the engine alloy mag cover is still in a box packed with news paper from 1980 .bad bits are the tank in plain surface rust ,panels odd colours .the mudguards are un chromed but original and as new before chrome ,the tank badges need chrome but apart from this it’s great

Offline Neilg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
Thanks for your help mini-me

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »
Something like this? From Don Morley's Classic British Two-stroke Trials Bikes. The HJH Trials was a pretty interesting machine.

Leon

Online R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 11:35:42 PM »
Any chance of a picture ?
Threads come alive with pics...

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 08:42:53 AM »
Reading Neil G's description of the bike I wonder whether it has been built from parts or is possibly a stalled older restoration? The mix of finishes on the parts doesn't sound like a bike that rolled off the production line in that state.
REgards, Mark

Online R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
It does sound a bit like that, doesn't it.
But it does say there someplace they were only in production 1954 to 1956,
and then closed suddenly.

This advert gives a bit of a clue ?

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
Reading Neil G's description of the bike I wonder whether it has been built from parts or is possibly a stalled older restoration? The mix of finishes on the parts doesn't sound like a bike that rolled off the production line in that state.

Sounds pretty plausible Mark. The link you provided above tells the story of the tax evasion and the subsequent penalty - the website says a friend paid the fine; Morley says he went to jail! I wonder if there were lots of parts left over when things came to a sudden halt.

Leon

Offline Neilg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
Hi all , it is a very interesting bike and I think holds a lot of secrets .i personally think it was made out of unused left over parts . The frame number  and being square box shows it being one of the last produced before going too the round frames . I was told they only did the first 25 in square this being number 21 . The tank ,mudguards are all very very old but Un chromed not after market etc which again shows it was probably a unused bike ,however I was given a photo framed with the registration number shown on photo of otg27 but this does not mean it is this bike .i am new too these older bikes and have only come across it while buying a (dare I say it Honda cb160 ) which the person has had from new and is in great condition .For the record I have 21 cb400/4 ,and 5 other collectable bikes only the other English bike is a dommie 1961 deluxe reg 431 krt  which stumbled again on, it is a 600cc and again I am not familiar with these . I am trying too get the largest collection of 400/4 together ,I don’t sell anything I just collect them . I have unfortunately stripped this hjh  down but done nothing yet too it which took all of 1hr. I just wish 400/4 was this easy ,I will post some picture soon of all my collection soon .Just because I collect Honda’s please don’t  give me a side step I will do best for this rare bike for the good of it not profit has I don’t need this
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:44:13 PM by Neilg »