Author Topic: What motor bike  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: What motor bike
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
Rex, strangely, it happened to me. I was reading OBM on the lav and in the "Where are they now" section, (which I normally never bother to read since the chances are next to zip,) was the reg of my 1953 500 Bullet. I phoned the chap out of curiosity and he was able to fill in a gap in the history that took me back to first registration. He asked to buy but wasn't in a position to do so, (needed to complete and out a Ural first!) so I thought nothing more of it. 6 months later I get a call, Ural gone and cash in hand so I agreed to sell as despite it being my first Enfield I didn't really use it or in fact, like it much. He was happy to be reunited with it as it had never actually run when he part-owned it. Another 6 months and he called me and said that although he'd enjoyed the experience he didn't like it much either and wanted to sell! I declined the offer (fickle me had replaced it with a 1A Interceptor, ha ha!) and that's the last I heard of it. He was a nice chap by the way and the whole experience was positive, a sort of cosmic return to the roots, man. I doubt I'd have sold it otherwise so OBM did me a favour!
REgards, Mark

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
It's good to hear that it worked out well for someone, at least.
It reinforces the old cynic in me that after he pursued his old bike and bought it he actually realised that he didn't think much of it though. Rather like the romantic reunions you hear about, the reality of why you parted all those years back is still there. :-X
Given the huge number of bikes scrapped over the years, and the ever-increasing number of age-related reg's I reckon your experience must be almost unique.
{I had a 1952 Bullet, bought it last February and swapped it back in May. Should've been a good bike, ran nicely, all rebuilt, but I didn't take to it either!}

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
Never revisit old loves,they'll be older, worn out, fatter, and lumbered with kids.

Old bikes you once owned  are best viewed through rose tinted lenses.

I had great fun on my first bike, a Crusader Sports, it also used up most or my apprentice wages, but I don't want another one 50 years older.

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
Rex, yes I'm pretty sure it was a one-off too. However, in his defence I did say that he told me that when he had the bike (part owned with a pal,) he never rode it. His job was to get the bike running, his pal being mechanically inept, but the pal sold it before he could sample it. I think it was the curiosity as much as anything that made him nostalgic! I've had another 500 Bullet since, (a 1958) and that was much nicer, not least because the Monobloc carb on the later Bullets at least lets the thing rev properly unlike the 289 (side float) on the '53 which seemed to strangle it. There might have been other issues, I tried a set of R cams in it once and it was much more fierce - can't remember now why I didn't leave them in. I've had several 350s (got a 350 Works Rep which is a keeper,) and they're much nicer. Having said all that I'm building a Bighead 500 at the moment so we'll see whether the bigger banger is better...
REgards, Mark

Offline Tins

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 08:27:08 PM »
Hi , I am looking to buy one , I didnt realise there were so many copies around  ?? With all this helpfull information in will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled even more peeled , Thanks for all the help , Regards Matt

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
I know where several bikes Ive owned over the years are.....for instance a 1924 Indian Scout I sold for $2500 around 1980....good price then ,anyway ,he offered me the "opportunity" of purchasing it back for .....$50,000.....that would require me to be completely demented .....and rich...neither of which I am.....Anyway ,Ive got enough restorable junk to last two lifetimes.......and what happens if these stupid climate emergency opportunists get control.....no vintage vehicles for sure.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »
That Scout stole some snowflake's future... ;)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 12:33:22 AM »
The Scout has a bit of a history.....bought new by (Sir) Herbert Watkin,who was later Director General Of Education in Qld,numerous other educational  positions,Vice Chancellor Uni of Qld,etc....He sold the Indian to a fellow teacher to buy a  new Harley 750 ,and I bought the Indian from the friend in 1970.....It was in perfect original condition,tires blown up,and ridden up untill the cops put it off the road the previous year............unfortunately,I got a mate to pick it up in his work Transit van,and he had the bright idea to douse the bike in Rinso washing powder.........stripped off most of the near perfect original paint job.....not a big deal in those days,as everything was blasted and painted for resto.