Author Topic: Advise on my first vintage purchase  (Read 18011 times)

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advise on my first vintage purchase
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
Hi,
I would prefer a prewar but new ones are possible too.  Looks like the style I like dies out around mid 50's.

I would recommend buying a bike from a major producer, BSA, Triumph and the like where there are better spares available, although some parts of "common" popular bikes are scarce
WD bikes seem overpriced to me and prewar bikes command a premium
Buy a bike and see how you get on with it, you can always sell it on and buy another
Its easier to find bikes once you are out and about riding one.

I like BSA's for several reasons,(some sentimental as my first real bike was a BSA)
parts remained common (enough) to transplant across lots of years

A BSA B31 from 46 to 50 would fit your requirements and your budget ?
The 46/47 ones have a different gearbox to the later and bits for the early boxes are scarce
The one Andy has for sale has something "funny" going on with the rear guard on it, which maybe a bargaining point

John

Offline Kit352

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
I've looked into a few old triumphs and it looks like parts are a huge issue with them.  I do like them though. 
I know bsa is probably my best bet and they are certainly in my price range but I'm not crazy about them.  I do like the bantams though which is the bike that got me into looking for a much older bike.  Too bad it doesnt have a hand shift.  Plus prices have really gone up recently it looks like.

Is it wrong I really like this bike?  Other than being French and brown and most likely to small for me it ticks all my boxes. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950-ALCYON-TYPE-23-125cc-TAX-MOT-EXEMPT-GIRDERS-HAND-GEAR-CHANGE/362757625343?hash=item54760a15ff:g:3X8AAOSwWH1b61hR

It seems I like French bikes too.  A good amount of the bikes I like turn out to be French after I look into them.  There is also an old Peugeot listed that I also really like but it has no v5 and I feel is well overpriced even if it did have one.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
yes that'll do you, grab it quick its a bargain,  ticks all your boxes.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 09:46:24 PM »
Beware, mini-me, your tongue might poke all the way through your cheek!  :)

I'm not sure everything is OK with this bike: the fork spindles look like Whitworth bolts and the bronze under the gearbox is, well, a lot of bronze. The other thing is that this bike will be physically small. But as mini-me says, if you want it go for it. Budget for lots of time and money if you want it to ride.

In the hierarchy of things, wouldn't a British bike with a 197 Villiers be a better bet? Or a British 350, like the B31 suggested earlier, AJS, Ariel, 3T Triumph etc?

Personally I don't change my bikes very often, so for me time spent deciding exactly what will suit is time well spent.

Cheers

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
The AJS equivalent of Ian's 1931 Sunbeam: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1148783

I'm getting hooked...

Leon

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 11:26:05 PM »
Hi Kit352
The Triumph factory was blitzed during WW2, they relocated to Meriden and a new factory, so the availability of pre war spares dried up

Any low powered 2 stroke and 4 stroke will be a danger to you in modern traffic  :o
I would regard a 30's/40's or 50's  350 ohv 4 stroke as offering the minimum performance required to maintain a safe speed in today's traffic

In the Auction linked to the 350 Rudge will perform well although a physically small bike for a large rider
You might find an Ariel 350 from the 40's more attractive than a BSA  ?? regarding budget again?
500's command heftier prices regardless of make

John

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
I'm a sucker for that 350cc OK Supreme in the H&H auction myself. Proper vintage that one, not pretend vintage. Rideable as is but not quite right so hours of fun fiddling and faffing. Would keep me amused for years and years but then again, I'm not hoping for a land speed record or whipping off a quick Continental tour over a long weekend. I just want to chuff down back roads looking for a good country pub. Pub collecting is serious business.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
I'm not sure everything is OK with this bike: the fork spindles look like Whitworth bolts and the bronze under the gearbox is, well, a lot of bronze.

Allied to the new repro headlamp, the toshed-over tank and front mudguard and the nice little Ebay Chinese tyre pump means that Pierre has put parts together for resale, and it rings those alarm bells.
We could all suggest and post links until Brexit finally happens and still be no nearer what it is you want in a bike. Have you no clarity yet with regards to what you want?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 11:41:10 AM »
He doesn't want a bike at, all it's a wind up, E's aving  a larf innit.

I suspect he is one of our previous discontent french bike fans on here.

Or, those on here who frequented Real Classic site may recall that legendary timewaster  and fantasiser NBAY? [no bike as yet]

Whatever answer he got, he'd refute it and then ask another silly question, and another, and another, in the end someone offerd him a free bike, he still came up with a reason not to have it.
People wasted a lot of time trying to encourage and help him.

One of his excuses was that he was a tall heavy guy, same as this bloke.

for myself I am about to block him so I don't have to read his nonsense. So he can spout off at me all he likes. 8)

It's one of the weird things about old bikes, when I was in the trade I got them all the time, 100% fantasy, sort of mechanical wet dreamers. Ignore him.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
Frames has been welded in at least two places, from the scorch on the front down tube and mudguard it would seem welded in situ.
Likewise the bottom of the fork has seen heat.

whats wrong with those girders? that they are not painted? I reckon it was tele forks replaced by girders for the hand 'shift' hard tail retro afficionados that plague the old bike movement these days.

Even odds what will break first,the forks or the frame, crap steel in france in those days, all that melted down whermacht stuff.

Offline Kit352

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 04:57:52 PM »
He doesn't want a bike at, all it's a wind up, E's aving  a larf innit.

I suspect he is one of our previous discontent french bike fans on here.

Or, those on here who frequented Real Classic site may recall that legendary timewaster  and fantasiser NBAY? [no bike as yet]

Whatever answer he got, he'd refute it and then ask another silly question, and another, and another, in the end someone offerd him a free bike, he still came up with a reason not to have it.
People wasted a lot of time trying to encourage and help him.

One of his excuses was that he was a tall heavy guy, same as this bloke.

for myself I am about to block him so I don't have to read his nonsense. So he can spout off at me all he likes. 8)

It's one of the weird things about old bikes, when I was in the trade I got them all the time, 100% fantasy, sort of mechanical wet dreamers. Ignore him.

I have no idea what your talking about and I think it would be best if you did block me.  I have done nothing but ask questions and give responses .  It seems you already have it out for me simply by asking for advise.  I'm not taking advise from you anyway as you seem to be a little off, maybe a lot off.

In response to others I have seen some non-ebay auction bikes but since I have no idea of the buying process or how the whole thing works I have ruled them out.  I figured buying from a dealer or known person would be far safer. 

Offline Kit352

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »
Beware, mini-me, your tongue might poke all the way through your cheek!  :)

I'm not sure everything is OK with this bike: the fork spindles look like Whitworth bolts and the bronze under the gearbox is, well, a lot of bronze. The other thing is that this bike will be physically small. But as mini-me says, if you want it go for it. Budget for lots of time and money if you want it to ride.

In the hierarchy of things, wouldn't a British bike with a 197 Villiers be a better bet? Or a British 350, like the B31 suggested earlier, AJS, Ariel, 3T Triumph etc?

Personally I don't change my bikes very often, so for me time spent deciding exactly what will suit is time well spent.

Cheers

Leon

Thanks for pointing out the flaws to that bike.  I knew it probably wasnt going to a good choice for me anyway but I do like mostly what it offers.  That shape and style with most of its features is what I am after.  An old simpleness to it. 

Offline Kit352

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »
The AJS equivalent of Ian's 1931 Sunbeam: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1148783

I'm getting hooked...

Leon

I like this one too but lack of lighting is a little bit of a worry.  I need to research more on being able to put at least some lighting on it to make it a touch safer to ride around.