Author Topic: triumph daytona  (Read 2397 times)

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
triumph daytona
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
my latest project is a triumph unit 500, its a 1971 model after stripping it back to the bare frame so it can be coated, dismantling the swinging arm is proving to be a headache, the book says take off the end threaded bolts (with grease nipples on) then take the spacers and gaiters off then the arm drops out, not so in my case, once the bolts are taken out the spacers and gaiters will not budge, tapping the arm or trying to prise the spacers -gaiters out dosent seem to move them, and not wanting to damage the arm, gaiters centre spindle etc would like first to ask advise as I am aware at least one member used to look after these bikes on a professional baisis thanks in advance for any much appreciated advice

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: triumph daytona
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
This may not help much reading your particular difficulty. My S/A bearings were worn. With some difficulty my son removed the swinging arm with the spindle etc. intact. I took the whole assembly to Rocker Box (nr Farnham) who replaced and reamed new bearings and fitted a new spindle. All at moderate cost. As I said it's not much help, but I do have the Triumph workshop manual which I would copy the relevant pages and email. Drop me a note to     hampshirebiker@gmail.com
Dave.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:03 PM »
any help is help and although I have the hynes w/m and the triumph parts book the original is always best so I will email and thanks, my bushes are not worn, the exorcise is only to save the dust gaiters etc from the heat of the coating process hence the care of the strip down

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:39:10 AM »
I used a small hydrulic bottle jack to slightly (about 1/16") widen the frame to get the bushes past the worn lip on the frame of one of my restorations. Might be worth a try.

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:15 PM »
that seems to make common sense, and definitely worth a try, see what the weekend brings? thanks