Author Topic: Bsa round tank  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Bear640

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bsa round tank
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 12:31:32 AM »
Ok, rims are westwood shaped, are definitely 20” with a width of 2”.
Going to order some 24 x 2 1/4 f see how I go.

For sale.. 26 x 3 BE tyres   :D

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 01:57:21 AM »
There was also the minor matter that tyres (and rims) went metric somewhere about then too.
I notice some models of BSA in that brochure list the 650 x 65  metric size.

650 x 65 was a French voiturette (light car) size that was briefly popular in the UK from 1914. Rudge used them as well as BSA. They have a very flat base, and although the dimensions translate to 26 x 2 1/2 the bead shape was quite different and users were warned not to fit anything other than the correct 650x65 tyre. They were much more robust than the Westwood pattern rims. The overall diameter is a bit under 21", and (despite warnings) I have used 26x3 tyres on them with no problem.

Re EW Douglas: With 25x3 tyres no longer available, the best solution is to use 26x3 rims and tyres, which were an optional extra from new. 24x2 1/4 tyres fit EW rims exactly, but they are look too skinny and ride rock hard on a very "modern" vintage motorcycle. A few years back I had a pile of EW rims - unlike the Round Tank rims they are flat base rather than Westwood - and couldn't give them away! Actually I did manage to give them away - to an artist who wanted to weld them into garden sculptures.

Cheers

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 02:14:08 AM »
Ok, rims are westwood shaped, are definitely 20” with a width of 2”.
Going to order some 24 x 2 1/4 f see how I go.

Perfect - original rims for the bike - 24 x 2 1/4 tyres will fit fine. Use plenty of tyre chalk and you should be able to put them on with your fingers!

Leon

Offline Bear640

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »
Thanks for confirming that Leon, am a a lot happier now I know I don’t have to buy new rims.

When I said I have 2 RT,s , well I sort of have 3 but an making one into a wedge tank. I have been looking for ages for a tank to no avail but found a rusted out one at a swap a month ago. Made an excellent pattern.
So that’s what today’s project was in the shed.. make a wedge tank. I only have to tail cap to go.