Author Topic: Triumph T120R - Help!  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Carl969

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Triumph T120R - Help!
« on: February 03, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »
Hi Guys, new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice.  I have recently acquired my first classic bike - a 1971 triumph T120R.  It has matching numbers and was believed to have been kept by it's first owner until relatively recently.  However, the bike is in serious need of a paint job (the front mudguard brackets have be re-welded on and this has ruined the paint).  Can anyone recommend a good paintshop in the South of England (I am based in Salisbury).

Also, the bike seems to runs ok (although it is a little tough to get started).  Are there any checks I should do besides routine maintenance to ensure that she is ok?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Triumph T120R - Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
If a Triumph twin of this age is hard to start it needs more that routine maintenance.
get your self a prpoer manual, not Haynes and go through the lot, one item at a time.

You in Salisbury or roundabout?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:21:17 PM »
Any Triumph twin that doesn't start in three kicks needs the spanners getting out.
Weren't the front mudguards held on by wire stays in 1971?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:51:23 AM »
I would include things like points gap and condition, tappet clearances and idle settings within routine maintenance and would start with sorting them out, as well as a set of correctly-gapped plugs and an oil change - maybe even fresh petrol although I've never had problems with old stuff. If it's still reluctant then that would be the time to delve deeper.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
First thing I d look at is worn carbies......that era s concentrics were worse garbage that previous efforts........unless the carbies are brand new ,I would suspect severe wear of slides and bodies at idle and just off.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »
True, but should still start.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline brad.royce

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 01:18:49 AM »
Hi mate

If it's your first classic and it runs okay once fired up maybe ensure you are starting it right.

These twins should usually start okay if you turn ignition on and hold the carb ticklers down until the fuel wells out of the carb body for each side. Once you have plenty of fuel, one kick with the clutch in to make sure you have the plates separated and then she should fire next kick.

Good fuel, charged battery, clean plug and clean / adjusted points is next steps.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
Don't bother , he is less than 20 miles from me, I did offer to go down and help sort it for him, never heard  from him any more.