Author Topic: Twin Leading Shoe problem  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Twin Leading Shoe problem
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »
Rex

That is precisely what I was getting at. Fortunately, engine/box excepted, I cannot think there is much else of serious concern. The 1000 or so miles done by me should have thrown it up by now. Already checked out head bearings, fork oil, chain, rear brake, swing arm - nothing looks to be amiss. Short of partially stripping it. fully even, not sure what else I can usefully do.   

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 06:27:42 PM »
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to be critical of your bike in any way, just that when you see some supposedly rebuilt bikes at shows etc and there's very basic and fundamental faults you think that clearly chrome was more important than functionality.
Then when you move on to the various genres of custom bikes and the whole issue of piss-poor engineering is magnified by a factor of ten..at least. ;)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »
Don't mind crticism - as long as it is constructive. I had inkling the PO was not of our ilk - let us say. Bit more show than go certainly. He had an E-type Jag in his garage which he thought was worth 50% more than what it really was, plus he rode some large vulgar chrome thing rather than the Bonnie. He does seem to have genuinely spent the money on the Bonnie given the parts bill, just not so sure he has put it back together entirely correctly.   

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
There are many various ideas about what a total restoration comprises - some people think that a quick waft with a rattle can does the job.

I've never bought a "restored" bike for this reason - for peace of mind I'd need to check it all anyway so might as well start out expecting to.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
I feel the same, plus why should I pay for someone's cheap chroming and poor restoration work?
Aside from that, the restoration is a major part of the enjoyment.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »
Yes, in fact often more fun than riding them (not the Norton ES2 of course, but possibly the Fanny-B)
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 10:50:43 PM »
I do think at some point that I would disassemble the Bonnie to engine and frame, then rebuild as I see fit, though I am not pursuaded the engine and box require attention given the huge rebuild file written by the builder. I am not doing it just yet. I want to actually ride the thing, and to be fair to the PO, the rest of the bike seems - at this point anyways - in reasonable mechanical order.

I too enjoy restoring, but I have a limit. Chrome, rims, exhaust which are a pile of rust is an instant turn off - mainly due to the cost of restoring/replacing them - as is any major issue with the engine or box. Not that much difference price-wise these days between something that requires a huge amount of work and something that is half decent needing only a modest amount of remedial work.