Author Topic: Velocette 1956 MSS  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Velocette 1956 MSS
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »
Gents

I have half an eye on an MSS. Looks to be a nice single, though being a Velo somewhat eccentric. Thoughts welcome as to riding and maintaining it. Condition is above average, allegedly decent mechanically, some cosmetic work to do.

Many thanks

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Velocette 1956 MSS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:26:38 PM »
Lovely bikes to own and ride. The "eccentric" bit is usually said by those who've either never had one or have had one and can't read a manual (particularly in regard to setting up the clutches or following the starting procedure)
Being an MSS it will have a bit more go than a MAC. I'd have another if one came along in a suitably distressed condition... ;)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »
Eccentric meaning different to normal. I also did not say it was a bad thing.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 09:12:11 PM »
I was generalising over people's use of the term when applied to Velo's Oggers, I wasn't criticising your use of the term.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »
As Rex says the clutch is fine if adjusted by the book. I would differ on starting procedure however - my Venom started best by using the "classic" big single technique as the book method depends on the primary drive ratio being exactly as standard. The big mistake most make is giving it a handful of throttle. Barely off the stop works best.

Velos were always said to need to be owned by engineers - my opinion is that is because so many odd bits & bobs seem to have been put into production when only half designed......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »
I had a 1938 MSS for a brief period in the 70s. I don't recall any particular starting routine. A good kick was all that was needed.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 10:13:56 AM »
I always used the "big single" approach too. I found the K/S ratio too low to do much else.
Mine had a slide lifter fitted which ties in with what Ian says about a whiff of throttle only.
I thought that if anything parts were over-engineered. Things like the adjustable cam idler gear and the complex clutch lifter mechanism all added costs with little or no improvement  over the industry standards of the day.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 10:18:50 AM by Rex »

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 10:45:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks. I have an Ariel VB600 so used to starting  - or not - big singles. I appreciate the technique varies from bike to bike though. Points noted about the clutch etc. I am assured all is well, but they all say that. It has a Venom piston and cam, a monobloc carb to suit - everything else is allegedly original. Frankly, I just like the noise they make, the low down torque and the relative simplicity of a single, but yes, well aware of the added "features" Not sure if they are good or bad news.   

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 05:23:24 AM »
1950s Velo 500s are just cooking singles with a price tag to match cammy Nortons.There is nothing special about them,quirky yes,but nothing special......In fact I suspect half the inflated price is down to all the drivel talked about the clutches.......Because in my recent experience ,the new generation of 50 somethings are paying very high prices for old bikes so they can talk endless drivel about them.

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »
John

There is some truth in that. I also quite like the Ariel VH500 which can be bought for far less. Nothing much you can do though about prices. Supply and demand basically, and whether demand is justified or not is another matter.