Author Topic: “Star” motorcycles  (Read 5867 times)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: “Star” motorcycles
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 06:55:13 AM »
Brilliant. The tech info is new and welcome. I'd love to know who (in the UK) built the Essex and what it looked like. Probably Montgomery again. Luckily, again, for my purposes it doesn't matter too much.

There is another make we haven't mentioned: Villiers.

I've come across quite a few adverts for "Villiers Motor Cycle", seemingly new. I wonder, if you called into the shop to see the advertised machine, just what was written on the tank? There were also very many adverts for secondhand Villiers motorcycles, but that's just because "Villiers" was a better descriptor of a machine than the actual brand.

In the early days (particularly pre-WW1) in Australia it was very common for a locally-built machine just to have just the name of the engine on the tank: JAP, Precision, MAG, DeLuxe, Peugeot, Automoto, Buchet, King Dick, Sarolea, Fafnir, Minerva... so a machine with just "Villiers" on the tank would not be without precedent. Does the Police book list Villiers as a brand of motorcycle?

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 08:03:52 AM »
Here's an example of what I mean.

A 1933 article about Stillwell & Parry in Melbourne (earlier builders of the GCS) says they sell "Villiers motor cycles".

If you search their adverts they advertise "Wolf (Villiers)". Fair enough, in fact quite honest. So, in this case, they probably didn't sell "Villiers" motorcycles. I'll keep my eyes open for other "Villiers motor cycles".

A year or two later, Bennett & Wood in Sydney were selling the "B&W Wasp" and "B&W Hornet", which were rebadged Wolfs.

Leon

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 09:16:00 AM »
I only shudder when some turns it into a flat tracker or chopper style mess.

I have been an advocate of the "make it 'wrong' to annoy the rivet couter brigade " for many years.

years go I had one such plonker telling me what was "wrong" with my bike and using a marque history book to prove his point, trouble was,it was my bike in the picture.

I have come to the conclusion that vintage bike owners are almost saints as these days we have to tolerate far too many plonkers buggering up our hobby.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
I reckon that could be applied to most hobbies/interests though.
When you're younger they're the old boy guru's who know everything about everything, and will happily spin a two minute anecdote into a full half hour monologue, but when you attain "old boy" status too, they're nothing more than boring fecking know-alls who actually know very little of note.
Jack Hargreaves (for UK members of a certain age) personifies this stereotype.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 11:35:56 AM »
Jack hargreaves a popular broadcaster and director of Southern ITV. A very full and interesting life (check Wiki) and somewhat of a ladies man.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 02:47:34 PM »
There are no ‘Villiers’ motorcycles in the Vic Police book. The book carefully gives a lot of Villiers engine data and has been useful in filling some identification holes in Roy Bacons standard reference but very carefully makes it clear it is a list of engines only.
No Villiers motorcycles.
It’s often difficult to identify these interwar Villiers powered machines because they were mostly built from the same proprietary parts. The choice of gearbox, fork and wheels, saddle and so on was limited so there’s little to tell them apart. Although it can make guessing what transfer to put on the tank a bit tricky once you know how to maintain one you broadly know how to maintain all.
I find them fun but most think I’m a bit sad.

Offline BIGMAL

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2021, 08:21:52 AM »
Agree with 33d6, NO .... VILLIERS motor cycles in Vic. Police Book........... but a few mentions of Villiers powered ones as you say.  However as a matter of interest that book was probably the one put out in 1952 and definitely was minus a few mentions !  Apart from that and a personal interest more inclined to veteran era machines, very few people seem to know / realize ? that during WW11 the old Motor Registration Branch was in the now old Exhibition Buildings in Carlton and here thousands of motor cycle records went up in flames when a disastrous fire occurred.  The fire was never officially mentioned [anywhere that I can find] possibly due to Wartime Restrictions and maybe fifth column "enemy sabotage ?"  What was lost during that fire in the normally well protected cellars below ground level, were thousands of those motor cycle records so many of us seek.  A.O.M.C. records as I understand them, from cards begun in 1932; are Registration number, make of vehicle, engine number, some transfers and cancellations; no owners names and addresses.  Perhaps the surviving "on film" records spoken of were taken after the fire and thus some of the mystery machines just didn't make it into the 1952 edition ?  Leon [Cardan: hallo again after some time !] 500 names etc ?  Hope they were actually "registered machines" and not like those often recorded as ????? in lists at Darley Trials etc., where Harley Davidson and similar were often given accolades such as "GRAHAM H.D."
Enough for now.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2021, 02:27:01 PM »
500 names etc ?  Hope they were actually "registered machines" and not like those often recorded as ????? in lists at Darley Trials etc., where Harley Davidson and similar were often given accolades such as "GRAHAM H.D."

Hi Mal, Yep, well over 500 without listing the "Golikel", "Never Stuck Up", "Gadfly" or "Flying Flyver".

Just finished THREE  different Monarchs, though, all in the veteran/early vintage period, but from three different makers. I see I could have bought one at the Shannons Auction in Melbourne a couple of months back. https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2021-shannons-winter-timed-online-auction/PANAUL2B27FB1B0O/ The funny thing is that they mention two of the three Monarchs in their blurb, leaving out the most likely maker... Oh well.
Cheers
Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 04:54:55 AM »
OK, I'm up to S.

I've had a stab at "S is for Simplex" (Turner Bros, 1936, 37 and maybe 1938, with all sized Villiers engines), and I can do something with "S is for Star" c1938 (Finlay Bros, 1938, with 148cc "Super Sport"), but I'm completely empty on the idea of Star motorcycles in Victoria in the early 1930s. Any ideas welcome.

Seriously, I think we'll get away with what we've got, but id the AOMC records should yield more...

I have to admit to tiring, but the end is in sight.

Cheers

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
The old microfilms are still with the digitisers, Leon so no Star information just yet. Hopefully back soon but no word to date.
So far digitising the microfilms has been an expensive exercise. JF and I took advantage of our microfilm delivery trip to have lunch with friends. I managed to break a crown whilst doing so. The dentist is well pleased and suggested we have lunch again on the pick up but I think a bowl of soup might be safer.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 10:30:01 PM »
The high price of historical research!

S is for Streak was interesting. Rob already had a good entry in the first edition of the book, so just a bit of checking and tidying up. The Streak factory was at 433 Brunswick Street, on the NW corner of Cecil Street, Fitzroy, and amazingly it is still there (or was in 2017 when the Google photo was taken) looking just like a 1912 motorcycle factory. The machines mostly used JAP engines. Oozing with history...

Cheers

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile