Author Topic: Suzuki GS1000 restoration recommendations needed  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Billybookcase

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suzuki GS1000 restoration recommendations needed
« on: February 15, 2022, 02:43:10 PM »
I have a 1982 GS1000 which hasn’t run for 23 years and I am l wondered if anyone could recommend a company to do a full restore on it?
Please and thank you.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki GS1000 restoration recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 10:24:28 AM »
The simple answer would be to sell that one and buy one already restored. A full restoration on a GS Thou (and many other bikes besides) would cost far more than the end bike would be worth.

Offline Billybookcase

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 01:49:38 PM »
Thanks Rex, how about if I just got the engine reconditioned and did the rest of it myself, is that still prohibitively expensive for what it would be worth in the end?
BB

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 01:55:35 PM »
The difference in price between one with an "unknown" engine and one with the engine restored is unlikely to pay for the work. I for one never trust the mechanical work a previous owner has done or commissioned after some very disappointing experiences.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 09:18:12 PM »
Thanks Rex, how about if I just got the engine reconditioned and did the rest of it myself, is that still prohibitively expensive for what it would be worth in the end?
BB

Maybe a better idea would be to get the existing engine running to see what the condition's like? They're really strong units and last a long time, so you may be pleasantly surprised.
Personally I'd give the whole-bike a safety once-over and try it on the road. Run it for a while and you can see what needs doing, and you can find out if it's what you want to put money into. They're heavy old b*stards and you may not actually like it?