Author Topic: Another mystery Albion gearbox for identification please...  (Read 3290 times)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another mystery Albion gearbox for identification please...
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 05:28:33 AM »
The EJ Albion boxes are a small scale copy of the Sturmey LS box.......I had one for years that was a mystery ,as it wasnt branded......turned out it was made in Sydney by Coote and Jorgenson for Allparts ,the motorcycle spares dealers.......Incidentally ,there is someone on ebay still clearing Allparts stock......at crazy prices.....(Allparts also made the "mystery" unmarked brass Amal copies.)

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 07:35:41 AM »
Those Allparts GearCo Diecut Munro Machinery folks & Harry were an enterprising lot.  Adelaide.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_206TETOgLd0/SkILkxN06LI/AAAAAAAACXo/oJHjXkbN2cE/s1600/Allparts,Flinders+St.,Adelaide,SA-1A.jpg

The story goes that the brass for those carbies came from artillery shells collected as scrap from New Guinea post WW2.
Apparently Amal sued them for patent infringement- but didn't appreciate the scale of things, and it was only a minor hiccup. ?

I reckon they'll still be clearings Allparts stock into the next millenium. !
I bought some engines from Chippendale a while back, and it looked like they still had warehouses of the stuff.
Didn't know of the gearboxes though.

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »
R, yes, I'm aware of the frame differences. I've done a quick measure up between the engine and CO frame and I think we'll be ok with some spacers for the gearbox plates. I also have another front frame which does have the correct dimensions but has a "moody" number.... Anyway, this is a real long term project. I'm no stranger to building bikes from bits and I see this one as a bit of fun really. If all else fails I'll just polish up that lovely engine and put it on a plinth!
REgards, Mark