Author Topic: Norton gearbox mainshaft  (Read 1388 times)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Norton gearbox mainshaft
« on: August 10, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »
I need to replace the mainshaft in the G 101 laydown box in my 1950 ES2 .......Ive sort of put this off for more than 20 years ,and at that point in time ,I couldnt identify the correct shaft without dismantling the box .........Anyone help with this ......I was in the NOC at that time ...........What I need is a length ...RGM offer a "pre AMC" shaft ......but there were a lot of pre AMC gearboxes ,not just the laydown..............I sort of know the answer .....pull the box to pieces ......but I dont want to be another silly old geezer with a dozen bikes in pieces......John-Whiting.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Norton gearbox mainshaft
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 02:56:05 PM »
Hi John.

I have the same box in my 1952 ES2 but cannot help re length etc. I'm not sure if the NOC forum is open to non-members but that would be the best source of insormation as I do remember conversations about this very topic.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 10:16:31 PM »
I'm a geezer with a few bikes in pieces (mostly bought em that way, they become 'baaagains' like that).
I'll have a look for you - and in the parts book. Be later today.

The NOC website has a summary of shafts and gears - someplace ?

NORTON LAY-DOWN MAINSHAFTS

Application  Part No.                          Stamp Mark

Twin Cylinder  D12/324                            GT 165
Single Cylinder  D E12/324, E12/324       GT 175
International                                            GT 185
Manx                                                        GT 191
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:16:58 PM by R »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 11:20:40 PM »
"NOC website" - Single boxes have a shorter mainshaft, 8 5/8'' whilst twins use an 8 11/16''

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 01:08:55 AM »
Thanks for the information........unfortunately it confirms my recall from years ago.......the commonly available WW2 surplus shaft is too long .(doll head box).  8.9" vs 8.625"......I may look into altering the primary driveline ..........the engine sprocket is a replica one too ,and the taper isnt correct .........I reckon I could make better parts than what the parts places sell.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »
Whats actually wrong with your mainshaft that it needs replacing - 20 years ago ?

They (bikes) are worth a penny or 2 these days.
Best do it proper ?

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 11:02:33 AM »
back in the day ,I got most of the parts as NOS...........all the gears are the same as the doll head box ,as is the layshaft ...........I was also a member of the Norton Owners Club then .....the spares they sent me were a complete waste of jet fuel ........anyhoo,the problem is worn splines on the clutch end of the shaft .....the spider is also worn ,and the combined slack is causing considerable vibration ............time to fix it .

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 11:39:02 AM »
OK,have bit the bullet ,and ordered a WW 2 shaft .........noticed that RGM have in tiny print that they have no stock of anything but Commando shafts ........I certainly have the technology ,probably could make one ......but why bother .

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 05:19:58 AM »
The NOS  shaft has arrived ,not as bad as the seller indicated .....no corrosion that I can see ,but it does have some sort of black coating ......may be phosphating ,or maybe just fine dry rust .......anyhoo,its quite acceptable for the money .....but it is the doll head mainshaft ,so some alteration of the primary will be necessary..........next is the spider ......I should have bought one when they were 37 quid .....now the price is 237 quid for new made later model spider.....which may be able to be altered to fit,say the sellers..............On the bright side tho,I see a Norton ES2 same as mine for sale on F Book for $20,000 .......he wont get it ,but the thought is there.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 08:29:23 AM »
$20,000? Those days are gone, almost certainly forever.
Some prices people put up are laughable; bikes like A10s for 8000 quid and common mundane Jappas for even more.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 08:41:43 AM »
The scary thing is that some of them sell ?
Or disappear from sale, at least.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2023, 09:11:57 AM »
I see a dealer with a real bitser (and incomplete ) Ariel 500 single  for $17,000........ a quite similar bike  couldnt make $3000 on ebay just this week ........needless to say ,the reserve was much more.