Author Topic: TR5C ?  (Read 7619 times)

Offline bmeana

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
TR5C ?
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:35:11 AM »
Was given what was said to be a Triumph 500 engine in plastic bins.  It would be nice to try and resurect it.  The engine case is unit construction.  It is a twin cycinder with a distributor on the right side.  Someone has hand written 1961 on the case and hardtail frame.  It has TR5C and H18752 stamped in the usual spot for serial numbers on the engine and H18752 on the frame.  There is only one carb.  There have been no references that pop up on search engines about TR5C.  What is it?
Thanks
Beno
Albuquerque NM USA

Offline TriSpec

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: TR5C ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:20:29 AM »
According to 'Triumph Motorcycles in America' it was actually a TR5A/C. There was a TR5A/R (Roadster) and a TR5A/C (Competition) which had quick-disconnect lighting and siamesed exhausts. There's a description and picture of a TR5A/C on page 65.
Single carb is correct.
I don't understand your reference to a hardtail frame as it had a swinging-arm frame.

Peter C
<peter@triumph.gen.nz>

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 04:17:50 AM »
It sounds like it might have been chopped - you see loads of chopped old Triumphs on US Ebay. If you wanted to restore it to original then it would be easy to get hold of another TR5 frame and swap the rear sections over. The problems occur when the headstock has been raked (for long 'chopper' forks) which will require cutting and welding. Should make a nice bike when it's restored though. Good luck  ;)

Offline bmeana

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  Nice to know what it is when looking for parts.  From the looks of it the head stock is,  (stock that is).  If anyone has information on where to get the proper shop manual it would be greatly appreciated.  Bought the Haynes for 350/500 unit twins.  Scanning through it, there appears to be nothing on the distributor and how to install and adjust it.  Think there is just one set of points.  Well it should keep me buisy for the cold months ahead.
Thanks
Beno

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:01:46 PM »
Hi, that's a genuine TR5AC made for 1961 only, and very rare. I believe only 691 were made in total, and they're sought after.
One went for a huge sum a while back in one of the big US auctions.
I hope some numb-nuts hasn't irrepairably skunked the frame by chopping it, because you'd be lucky to get another matching number TR ever!
Nice bike!

Offline bmeana

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:18:32 PM »
 :-/ Unfortunately "Old Numb Nuts" had a hard tail welded on.  The rest of the frame is unmodified.  Still haven't set the parts out to see what's there.  It is basically just the motor and bodged frame.  No idea how to set up the ignition.  Just twist it till it sparks.   Would like to see pictures and specs if anyone has some.  A shop manual may be real hard to come by.

Thanks
Beno

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »
It has ET ignition, so that's a bit more complex than twist-and-spark. Try Haynes or Triumph number 4 for a good manual, as it's not that different from the other 500s of the time.
There's a book on Triumph Trophies which gives a good run-down on this bike with pics too.
Typical that some chopper dork had to pick a valuable frame to screw up, when there's loads of ordinary Tigers or 5TAs he could have destroyed instead.....