Author Topic: Royal Enfield  (Read 16573 times)

Offline Herc

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Royal Enfield
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:42:01 AM »
Hi
This is the frst time I am using this forum and I hope the picture gets there.
I have a Royal Enfield, but do not know year or model. I have found D 3230 on the motor block and SA 300 on the carburetor.
Thanks

Offline rewdco

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Enfield
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:37:55 AM »
Hi Herc,

Well, that's a model D you've got there. Must be 1939 or 1940. Is there a broad arrow stamped on the engine? In that case it would be a civilianised ex british army model WD/D.

REgards,
Jan

Offline Herc

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:56:20 AM »
Thanks Jan
There is no arrow, the surface is quite smooth. Could it be a 250 cc engine?

Regards
Herc

Offline rewdco

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:59:43 PM »
Hi Herc,

Must be a 1939 250cc sidevalve indeed!

REgards,
Jan

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 04:28:04 AM »
Herc,

The specification does look very close to that of the War Department machines and a number of civilian bikes were impressed for military service. Perhaps this one missed the Ministry Inspector's stamp ?

The published contract information doesn't include this motor number but there are gaps.  Have you found a frame number ?

The saddles have a German look. Has the bike turned up in Continental Europe ? If so, it could well be one of the 20,000 plus motorcycles that the British Forces abandoned in May / June 1940, many of which were used locally afterwards.

Have you tried scraping the paint in odd places to see if you can find any khaki green or, just possibly, pre-war R.A.F. blue ? If it's from a Military contract and it's never been shot-blasted then there must be some original paint somewhere such as inside the headlamp or tool box etc.

Another clue might just be the light switch. If it has a "T" position (tail light only) that could hint at some military history although I'm not certain that early Model Ds would have had the military switchgear.

Rich.

Offline rewdco

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 06:25:26 AM »
Hi Rich,

You could be right, the kneegrips look a bit foreign as well I think... Would be nice to know the frame number. This number is usually stamped on the headstock, at the left hand side. Will you keep us informed Herc?

Cheers,
Jan

Offline rewdco

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
Hi,

Just noticed this: I have some pictures of civilian D's, and these all seem to have a dynamo plus coil ignition, the 1939 catalogue doesn't mention a magdyno either. All the military WD/D models definitely had a magdyno. This bike also has a magdyno. Retrofit? Or is it indeed a civilianised WD/D ?

Cheers,
Jan

Offline douglas

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »
do i see a small arrow thingamy before the engine no.?  douglas

Offline rewdco

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 11:52:50 PM »
On the engine close-up picture that I posted,  there is a "D" for the model, a "/|\ M11" marking which is the military inspector's marking, and the engine number 2344. I was wondering if Herc's engine (number 3230) also has this inspector's marking, which would definitely make it a WD/D.

Jan

Offline Herc

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 03:23:42 AM »
Thanks all for good feedback and I'm able to add more details.
It's a 4 shift gearbox with a foot gear shift. I have opened the cover and found the sidevalves. It's a missing item on the engine. I believe that should have been a dynamo, no sign of a coil. Hard to find any frame number on the left side of the headstock. I do not know the right spot for it and it looks like it has been welded on a reinforcement on the top part of the frame in front of the petrol tank on both sides.
The colour is black all the way through, no sign of army green or anything else. The light switch on the headlight is a LUCAS marked with OFF - L - H

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 04:39:49 AM »
no sign of a coil.

There should not be any ignition coil as the bike has a magneto.
L.A.B.

Offline m3bobby

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 11:24:52 PM »
Hi,

I've been doing some research into the model D as I have one also. Yours appears to be a Civilian modal but I'm about 99.9% sure it would have been pressed into military service (or possibly some other war effort not directly asscociated with the war office). The magdyno isnt the original as the straight carb stub was only used on the coil ignition models. The magdyno models have a bent stub.

Hope this is of help,

Chris.

Offline Herc

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 03:30:55 AM »
Hi
I have been trying to get an Illustrated Parts Breakdown for the bike, but with little luck. If anybody out there have a copy please let me know. What I need is an Illustrated Parts Breakdown and a Workshop manual for a 250 cc model D 1939/1941 Royal Enfield.

Regards
Herc

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 04:20:06 AM »
Hello Herc,

Rob van Meel does reprints of the Instruction book and Parts book (for the WD contracts at least).

http://www.robvanmeel.nl/index.php?Search=enfield

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 04:21:11 AM »
Avaiable from Bruce Main-Smith: http://www.brucemain-smith.com/

"1939 UNillustrated Spare Parts List. 225cc Model A and 248cc Models D, S, and SF.  
  Ref no:- 4309 / FLACK/2911 PRICE £ 3.00

1938 Instruction book. 250cc s.v. Model D and 250cc o.h.v. Models S and SF only.  
  Ref no:- 2568 / MUNROE/1629 PRICE £ 4.60"

Or Elk Engineering: http://freespace.virgin.net/elk.engineering/manual.htm#ROYAL

"1939  S/L  Model A (225cc), Models D, S and SF (248cc). Not ill. (small format)   20pp  £2.00

1938  I/M  Lightweight models D, S and SF (S/V and OHV) with engine settings etc (small format)   32pp  £3.50"

« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:22:34 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.