Author Topic: Royal Enfield Numbers  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Royal Enfield Numbers
« on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »
G'day,

Does anyone here happen to have a comprehensive list of Enfield frame numbers?  I've just acquired a frame which was sold to me as a Series II Interceptor frame, but I'm not convinced this is what it is (Frame Number 62756).  First of all there is no 'F' prefix which I know the Series IIs have, and secondly there are one or two obvious differences.  The first difference is the lack of a lug welded to the spine-tube immediately behind the steering-head.  If it were only this that was different I would accept that it is a Mk1 Interceptor, as Hitchcocks reckon.
There is another more substantial difference towards the rear of the frame, however, which is causing me to doubt; completely different from the Interceptor frames at all is the looped tubes to which the rear footrests are bolted.  Rather that looping back and being welded above a large-diameter lug, this frame has a wider arc and is welded under the lug.

It probably seems trivial but I don't want to mess about trying to force a Series II Inter engine into a frame it doesn't belong in - after all, it could be a frame for a 700, 500 or even a single-cylinder.

I realise too that Royal Enfield numbers don't necessarily follow any form or logic, but if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Blue

Offline rewdco

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Enfield Numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 04:06:22 AM »
Hi Blue,

Did you try Burton Bike Bits? They're holding a register for the Interceptor: http://www.burtonbikebits.net/royal_enfield_interceptor.htm

Cheers,
Jan