Author Topic: st st st stuttering Bonnie  (Read 11448 times)

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Re: st st st stuttering Bonnie
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »
Henry, asllxmlvll says (I had trouble with that - It looks to be about my age in Roman Numerals) 13.2 volts is fully charged voltage. 10.8 volts is FLAT!  I know batteries can be run down to lower voltages, but they are likely to be damaged. The 12volts we all refer to is Nominal Voltage, which is given out at about half charged. If you are reading less than 11 volts after charging your battery it is well and truly k********.
Jim Walker.

Offline lxmlvll

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 06:52:27 AM »
Hi Henry, a few more points.

If you do not have a wiring diagram, then get one.

I had no space in the previous post to add a comment on the fact that a "kit" was available from Triumph and also Lucas to replace the battery with a large value capacitor mounted on a spring (to protect it from vibration), which was supplied as a standard fitting on some "competition" models. The intention (I think) was to save weight.

To the best of my knowledge, most of these models were also fitted with lights, so I would think that this suggests that, in good condition, the charging system was capable enough to do the job (though only just, I think).

By the way, if your machine is not fitted with a zener diode, only 1 set of alternator coils is used for daylight operation with the rest being switched in when the lights are turned on.

All of the information I have given in both posts has not been recently researched by me, but is from memory and experience. There may be some inaccuracies but I am confident that the info is generally correct.

All the best with your bike and, as is often said as a parting shot among bikers in my part of the world, keep between the hedges.

Best regards,

A.

Twolitre - Your'e about the same age as me then?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:56:55 AM by lxmlvll »

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »
By the way, if your machine is not fitted with a zener diode, only 1 set of alternator coils is used for daylight operation with the rest being switched in when the lights are turned on.

True, but IIRC (pretty sure, actually) the 65 had a zener fitted as standard, so to go back to the previous (not very good) system of coil-switching seems a very strange and unusual thing to do.
I reckon the Boyer would be happier running with a decent charged battery and with  proper regulation though.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 10:28:46 AM »
Thanks again. As it happens I have one of those new fangled regulator/rectifier boxes fitted which seems to work quite well and has simplified the wiring a bit too. I do have a wiring diagram (horribly complicated after getting used to my pre-unit mag version) so I will check out the charging side but first and foremost I must get me a new battery.  >:(